Find
Notify
Tools

Southern Dove Hunt
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Capt. Purvis
posted
Those of you that live in the south know about the traditions that come with Labor Day weekend and the opening of dove season.
Sunflower fields, whole hogs on the grill, band parties and Southern Bells dressed in their best Gucciflauge.

Ready for that time of year. We have finally started to get some cooler weather here in NC and some of the leaves are starting to change. I am currently holding a good amount of birds and should stay that way as long as we do not get a Tropical Storm.

Captain Clark Purvis
www.roanokeriverwaterfowl.com/

Posts: 1141 | Location: Eastern NC Outer Banks | Registered: 21 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Hope you have a great opening day weekend. In Texas it will probably be in the 100's for opening day! Oh well, that is life in south Texas. Lets hope the shooting is as hot!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Opening day was yesterday and I couldn't make it to the field because of some interviews I had scheduled but made it out this afternoon.

A solid hunt. Not really a hot barrel hunt but I shot my limit in a couple of hours. Lots of folks out and shooting which kept birds in the air but pretty spooky. My son got 10, 2/3 of a limit. Temps were only 89 with a breeze from the east/northeast.

Gotta love the opening of hunting season and college football!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote