THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIRD SHOOTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Bird Shooting    What gun(s) would you select?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What gun(s) would you select?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Consider yourself on a Gentlemen's wingshooting trip. I know that automatically eliminates many of the rest of us from the discussion, but let's go forward, nevertheless.

You are either in Europe or South America, although that's not really critical to the discussion, so let's not get too tight-assed about that, either.

You will have the following opportunities:

Driven pheasant-sized birds from a static shooting stick.

Flushed pheasant / perdiz / partridge-sized birds over dogs, open field. The occasional giant hare may flush.

Decoyed ducks from a blind, over water, ranges out to 40 yards and beyond.

Decoyed pigeons from a dry blind, out to 30 yards and beyond.

Pass shooting ducks, left to right, right to left, over waterways, very close.

Pass shooting pigeon, from all angles, from among the trees.

You may take as many as 3 guns, of any action, of any bore, fixed or changeable chokes.

Your ammunition will be of the highest quality, and you may even select the shot size.

The beef, the wine, and the cigars will be the best available for that part of the world.

Enjoy your trip.

114-R10David

Posts: 1753 | Location: Prescott, Az | Registered: 30 January 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
As i travel as ligth as posibly i would take my new beretta a400xplore ultraligth 12 gauge ,I can carry it in its small case with all the chokes i need .

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6382 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Interesting.

I will not take any shotgun out of the US that if lost would crush me. So I am only going to take "shooting" guns.

Selection is highly personal and therefore there is no "right" answer. Guns and hunting are not subject to mathematical precision.

I would take 2 Beretta 471 Silverhawks, both in 12 gauge, and then adjust the first rate ammo to the hunt. One has been gone through by Cole to make sure it can handle heavy loads, the other is original. Both have choke tubes.

I would take a Browning Maxus 12 gauge (with choke tubes) to be used on rainy inclement weather days.

I thought about going a 20 gauge route or even lesser chambers, but in the end a gentleman does not succumb to the "how lite can I get by with" competition.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You'll never get onto a driven pheasant shoot with an auto!!! Not etiquette.

For me, I would take my Perazzi O/U with 12 and 20 g barrels . I've done it in
South America , and in the UK as well.

Nick

Posts: 665 | Location: EU | Registered: 05 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SFRanger7GP
posted Hide Post
The access to ammo in the UK and South America is very different. Since it is a gentleman's hunt, I would take my Beretta SV10 in 12 bore and my Browning Feather Lightning 16 bore for South America. For the UK, I would take my Lancaster hammer gun and my Boswell side lock in 12 bore.

Autos and pumps are the guns of ruffians. lol

Larry

Posts: 887 | Location: Wichita Falls Texas or Colombia | Registered: 25 February 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
Ok ,if its a double gun hunt i would take my Remington Europe 12 ou -its made by Bernardelli-or one of my Berettas ou or my skb 20ou ...of course i have an european suit taylor made for driven hunts ,im using it on my fb page photo .I have some belgium made exposed hammers too .... Roll Eyes

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6382 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Churchill sxs 28 ga. fox model B sxs 16 ga. Citori o/u 16 ga.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My Grandfather's Winchester Model 24, 12 gauge 3" mag. Heavy Duck & Goose choked F&F.

My other Grandfather's Winchester Model 97TD 12 gauge. Spare barrel, cut down to 22" with IMP and Modified choke tubes.

My nephew "borrowed" my little Fox Sterlingworth 20 gauge. Doubt I'll ever see it again...

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
"The choice of the gentleman wingshooter is the side-by-side double."

I would take a 12 gauge Parker with 28" F&M choked barrels.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Since I'm not a gentleman wingshooter, I'd take my go-to gun, an original 101 Winchester pigeon grade with tubes. I normally hunt almost everything with IC and IM screwed in, but, obviously would adjust the tubes for very close or very far conditions. I would suggest that similar 101s are among the toughest O/Us ever made. I've got several, and, while a bit looser than new, one has shot over 500,000 rounds, in the process breaking one ejector hammer and one firing pin. Neither of which stopped the gun from functioning with both barrels. They are slightly heavy, which makes for good swinging and less recoil, but not as handy when you're walking many miles for a few shots.

AFA shells go, among the killingest shells I've ever shot were Fed Premium 2 3/4 inch coppper plated 1 1/2 ounces of BBs. If they were available (which they aren't, long out of production, thanks to steel), AND IF I WAS AFTER MAXIMUM KILL which I rarely am these days, I'd use them for ducks, near and far. They will reach out and touch them up to 80 yards and beyond. Hevi-shot would be another great option, but at the current cost, I'd probably choose lead instead.

Depending on the volume of shooting, I would use Pigeon load 1 1/4s in 6s (or 7s if you could get them) for most of the rest, except for high volume work, in which case I would tend to use 1 ounce trap loads at 1150 fps.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
Hmmm. Since I DO want to shoot the English birds, I will take my Beretta 682 fitted with Briley chokes, from skeet to full, and put up with any snide remarks from SxS shooters.
For all other hunting, my Browning MAXUS, again with all chokes.
Guns are both 12ga and I will choose the appropriate load for the bird at hand, including some very light shot loads to help reduce recoil to my separated shoulders.

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rigby350
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nickh:
You'll never get onto a driven pheasant shoot with an auto!!! Not etiquette.

For me, I would take my Perazzi O/U with 12 and 20 g barrels . I've done it in
South America , and in the UK as well.

Same here, perfect setup

Nick

Posts: 119 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 11 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If this is constrained to what I already own:

12G AYA boxlock SxS - fitted to me, 6 1/4 lbs and can be replaced if stolen.

12G Browning BSS Sporter - fitted as well, will take 3in shells for the ducks if necessary. Heavier than the AYA but could be carried in a pinch.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'd take my Krieghoff K-80 with the ltwt receiver with two sets of O/U barrels - 28" that have been backbored and Pro-Ported with Briley chokes in both barrel (walk-up shooting) plus a set of 30" bbls, with the same mods as aboce,

The whole thing, including an extra set of wood easily fits octagonal hard case on wheels along with some clothing for padding

I've used this combo to shoot most legal gam birds

DB Bill aka Bill George

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fallow Buck
posted Hide Post
Really??? IF... I was invited on a gentleman's shoot;

It would be a Purdey SLE 20-bore choked quarter and half. Double triggers and thirty inch barrels.

If I really had to take three I would add in two more of the same in 12 bore with twenty nine inch barrels, because I'm assuming the pheasants would be proper pheasants and plenty of them...?

Given the choice I'd swap one of the 12 gauges for Larry as my loader because he is a first class man to have about when you need someone to hold a cigar for you so that you can shoot.

When are we off? My Purdey needs a service.

Rgds,
K

Posts: 4096 | Location: London | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would bring my 12-65 bore Purdey game gun, made 1896...nitro-proofed april 1913, 28" barrels, Beesley self-opener with ejectors, choose ammo and shot size according to the game shot..its tight like a vault...seems to be lightly used..

Posts: 3974 | Location: Vell, I yust dont know.. | Registered: 27 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Joe R. Lock
posted Hide Post
I would take my two Browning Citoris; one a 12 and one a 20. I would also take my Valmet 16 gauge O/U.
joe

Posts: 236 | Location: Florida | Registered: 08 September 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A pair of 12 bore english SLEs with two sets of barrels 29" IC/M and M/F and a 28 bore SLE 28" barrels IC/M.

These guns will work for the all of the situations you described.

One of Us
Picture of JeffreyPhD
posted Hide Post
Navaluk,
I'm sending a PM with a couple of questions about the work Coles did for you on the 471s. I'm getting ready to send one to them for a little tweaking.
Thx,
Jeff Davis

quote:
Originally posted by Navaluk:
Interesting.

I will not take any shotgun out of the US that if lost would crush me. So I am only going to take "shooting" guns.

Selection is highly personal and therefore there is no "right" answer. Guns and hunting are not subject to mathematical precision.

I would take 2 Beretta 471 Silverhawks, both in 12 gauge, and then adjust the first rate ammo to the hunt. One has been gone through by Cole to make sure it can handle heavy loads, the other is original. Both have choke tubes.

I would take a Browning Maxus 12 gauge (with choke tubes) to be used on rainy inclement weather days.

I thought about going a 20 gauge route or even lesser chambers, but in the end a gentleman does not succumb to the "how lite can I get by with" competition.

Posts: 1032 | Location: Central California Coast | Registered: 05 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SFRanger7GP
posted Hide Post
Jeff: I live a on the other side of the swamp from Cole's Florida office. They have done some work for me and they are a first class outfit. I am pretty picky on who I let work on my guns.

Kiri: I will be happy to load the guns for you; pour the drams and provide unsolicited advice and sarcasm. However, you will have to explain my presence at a "gentlemen's shoot". Big Grin

Clara and I are looking forward to seeing you in a couple of weeks.

Larry

Posts: 887 | Location: Wichita Falls Texas or Colombia | Registered: 25 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Browning BSS in 12 gauge and a Fausti S x S in 20 ga.

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fallow Buck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SFRanger7GP:
Jeff: I live a on the other side of the swamp from Cole's Florida office. They have done some work for me and they are a first class outfit. I am pretty picky on who I let work on my guns.

Kiri: I will be happy to load the guns for you; pour the drams and provide unsolicited advice and sarcasm. However, you will have to explain my presence at a "gentlemen's shoot". Big Grin

Clara and I are looking forward to seeing you in a couple of weeks.

Larry

Now I know you are lying as Americans don't do sarcasm!! Wink

Looking forward to seeing you guys too.

K

Posts: 4096 | Location: London | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would take my Merkel 60E 16 ga with both sets of barrels - 28" in SK1/LM and 29" in F/M.

Posts: 1319 | Location: MN and ND | Registered: 11 June 2008Reply With Quote