Find
Notify
Tools

non-lead shot advice needed
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted
I will be doing a European pheasant shoot in about a month. The club where it's taking place at has gone non-lead only. I need some advice on non-lead shot and choke selection as I know nothing about it. I've done several tower shoots before but have never fired a single round of anything but lead shot.

What do you suggest? Steel? Bismuth? With what chokes? Typically for tower shoots I use #5 lead shot with mod and/or imp mod. What would be the equivelent for this in the non-lead loads?

Posts: 3276 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 308winchester
posted Hide Post
Try find some bismut or heavi shot. Heavi-shot should only be shot in a new shot gun with less than 1/2 choke.

Bismut can be used like lead. Nothing spesial. Might go up one size in shot if you want, but no real reason to do so.

Try not to use steel. I just don't trust the killing power.

Johan

There's plenty of room for all God's creatures.
Right next to the mashed potatoes.

Posts: 1082 | Location: Middle-Norway (Veterinary student in Budapest) | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Irish Paul
posted Hide Post
Try this non toxic - works great on ducks, and will do an equally good job on pheasant. It's a bit pricey, so you may consider steel also.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link....=search-results1.jsp

Never use a cat's arse to hold a tea-towel.

Posts: 280 | Location: California/Ireland | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Irish Paul
posted Hide Post
Forgot to add that the Kent matrix is as soft as lead.

Never use a cat's arse to hold a tea-towel.

Posts: 280 | Location: California/Ireland | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If your shotgun is OK for steel you could use Hevi , and #6 will hammer them . It is alright in a full choke that is rated for steel .

Posts: 1660 | Location: Gary , SD | Registered: 05 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
I think I will leave the ol' Browning O/U at home, take the Wallymart 870, and use the #6 Remington Hevi with a modified choke.

Posts: 3276 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Matt Norman,
what european country are you going to?

one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
My bad, perhaps I should have said "Tower Shoot". I'm going to the Huntsman Hunt Club near Dryden, Michigan.

(I know what you're thinking..."he's going to show up in Europe with a synthetic 870!?!?!")