New
Find
Notify
Tools

Good, Inexpensive 28 GA o/U
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm looking for a good, inexpensive 28 ga o/u for my 13 year old son. My initial preference is for the Ruger Red Label in a straight stock.

I'd appreciate your thoughts and inputs.

Thanks much.

W

One of Us
Picture of Skinner.
posted Hide Post
I'm impressed with the CZ's, in fact one of these 28's is gonna end up in my possession soon.

CZ USA Shotguns

CZ Redhead 28ga on Gunbroker

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The CZ is nothing but a Huglu with CZ's name on it. I would take the Ruger over a CZ anyday of the week, and twice on weekends.

If the Ruger fits in your budget for "inexpensive" go for it. I think they make a real gem in 28.

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't turn down a bargain in a Ruger, but they are made on a twenty gauge frame and are thus larger than need be for the delicate 28. Fortunately, the Ruger has no underlugs, so the frame is fairly compact to begin with.

The Huglu (CZ) is a true 28 gauge frame and will run several hundred dollars less than the Ruger. I've had a CZ SxS 28 for only a short time, but it looks like it may be a winner. I'm not sure that it would hold up to South American-style dove shooting of thousands of rounds per weekend, but it will do me at 250 rounds a year for many, many years.

If you don't trust the CZ, then look at a Beretta. It is also made on a 20 gauge frame, but is still compact due to the lack of underlugs and will be lighter than the Ruger. Dollars should run you in the same neighborhood as the Ruger.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello,
I think the Ruger 28 has it own size frame.
John

Posts: 1292 | Location: N.J | Registered: 16 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Beretta makes a 28 0n a 28 frame but it is hardly a 'budget' (at least not mine) gun. Think you can get a Citori (20 frame) for a reasonable price also.
C.G.B.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cgbach:
Beretta makes a 28 0n a 28 frame but it is hardly a 'budget' (at least not mine) gun. Think you can get a Citori (20 frame) for a reasonable price also.
C.G.B.

Could be, but I'll bet if you compare your 28 to a 20 you'll find the same frame dimensions. I know that my Beretta 28 is on a 20 gauge frame, but then it's 20 or so years old and the current production may well be different.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
While visiting my dad in Nebraska, I purchased a Stoeger S/S combo 20/28 gauge for $550. I though it would be an OK field gun and so took it to the 5 stand course to try it out. I actually shot better w/ it than my 12 ga Browning w/ bells an whistles from Briley. Maybe it was concentration, but hey; I give it two thumbs up! Haven't tried the 20ga set (yet) though to give a full report. Of course folks in the south look funny at me shooting the 28s. Oh well.....
Ron

Posts: 67 | Location: The Pelican State | Registered: 18 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Stonecreek, the Ruger is definitely sized for the 28 and is not the same as the 20.

Chic Worthing

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stonecreek:
quote:
Originally posted by cgbach:
C.G.B.

Could be, but I'll bet if you compare your 28 to a 20 you'll find the same frame dimensions. I know that my Beretta 28 is on a 20 gauge frame, but then it's 20 or so years old and the current production may well be different.

Could well be, they only started to list the 28g specific receiver in this years catalogue
Mine (last years model) is definately on a 20g frame.

Cheers, Dave.

Aut Inveniam Viam aut Faciam.

Posts: 6716 | Location: The Hunting State. | Registered: 08 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Another vote for the Ruger, I have the 50th anniversary model and it is one SWEET shotgun, light, petite and came with 5 screw in chokes. Love it. Another feature that would be in the plus column, especially for a newby is the safety goes on when the action is opened.

Stepchild

NRA Life Member

Posts: 1326 | Location: glennie, mi. USA | Registered: 14 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Customstox:
Stonecreek, the Ruger is definitely sized for the 28 and is not the same as the 20.

That's good to know. I may need to put that one on my "acquisition list".

one of us
posted Hide Post
The new Franchi is definately a small, nice 28 but not in the budget class.

Anything Worth Doing Is Worth Overdoing.

Posts: 1275 | Location: Fla | Registered: 16 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a traditions,Italian made $700 new had it about 4years shoots great.w/regards

Posts: 610 | Location: MT | Registered: 01 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
you might want to check out the verona

Posts: 13461 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
butchloc,
BC outdoors who used to import the Verona (F.A.I.R. - Rizzini) is no longer importing them (and is on it's way out of business) and Rizzini has found an importer who is bringing them in under their name. The Verona is still a very good shotgun but what you will find is only left over inventory. I have a 20/28 combo gun of theirs.

Chic Worthing

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Customstox:
butchloc,
BC outdoors who used to import the Verona (F.A.I.R. - Rizzini) is no longer importing them (and is on it's way out of business) and Rizzini has found an importer who is bringing them in under their name. The Verona is still a very good shotgun but what you will find is only left over inventory. I have a 20/28 combo gun of theirs.

Is that the new Mossberg O/U? I found it on their website, it sure looks like the Rizzini's I have seen. They are due here in OZ in a couple of months, and it looks as if they will be available in 28g.

Cheers, Dave.

Posts: 6716 | Location: The Hunting State. | Registered: 08 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dave, I don't know if F.A.I.R.(Isador Rizzini) builds the Mossberg or not. I had heard that New England Arms (not NE Firearms that makes the single shot break action) was importing them and in fact it was stated on Cabellas that the Rizzinis that they were indeed imported by them.

Chic Worthing

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Belgian, circa 1972, 28 ga Browning that I might consider letting go; $3900 and that is lower priced than some British SxS.

Jim jumping

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5523 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You don't mention how big your 13 year old son is. The 28 ga. can have a sharp "kick" (yeah, it's not the "kick" of a 12 but it is sharp). If he is small for his age (as I was,even after puberty and only shot up to my present height of 6' at around age 15 or so) the shotgun can feel uncomfortable - not what you want him to be introduced to with a shotgun. After all, he is like a puppy you are introducing to gunfire. You don't want to make him gun shy right from the start.

Why not try a 410? If you want him to shoot at actual game, 3" shells from a 410 will drop quail and certainly will kill bunnies -who run pretty good and are harder often to hit than flying targets. Certainly any local trap/skeet range will accommodate him on shooting at clay birds. JUst my thoughts.

Posts: 800 | Location: NY | Registered: 01 June 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
WHM--------I have a Ruger RL in 28 ga. that is in A-1 cond. Hope You might want it as I would like to see it go to a young shooter like your Son. Patrick

One of Us
Picture of Snipe Hunter
posted Hide Post
Another vote for a Red Label as best O/U for around $1,000 on a frame scaled to the gun. If you want a pair of twenty-eight gauge barrels on a twenty gauge frame you have more to choose from, especially if considering the used market. As for the question about who makes the Mossberg O/U, I saw on one that like the CZ it is a Turkish gun. The name started with "Kay..." I believe but I can't recall exactly what it said.

SH

------------------------------------
I admit there are advantages in game of every type;
But I've never heard of beast or bird to excel the twisting snipe.
Nicholas Kane, Louisiana, 1880

Got Snipe?

Posts: 83 | Location: Out in some godforsaken marsh | Registered: 21 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by whm7753:

I'm looking for a good, inexpensive 28 ga o/u...

What is "inexpensive" for you? If you can go that high, I'd recommend a Beretta or a Browning Citori.

(I admit to a prejudice against the Ruger o/u. You never see them in the hands of long time or intensive shooters on the skeet range, and skeet is, I think, the ultimate test of a gun's reliability and toughness because you often shoot it a hundred or more times a day, day after day and week after week.)

"How's that whole 'hopey-changey' thing working out for ya?"

Posts: 5883 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I own a FAIR Rizzini 28, and have had a Ruger,and Brownings. The FAIR Rizzini via New England Arms is not the B. Rizzini that was the Sig and Verona guns, same family same basic design but the fences abd finishing are different. Very nice gun for the money, I have some 30,000 rounds through mine. With a 14 7/8 LOP and 28 barrels she weight 5lb 14 oz. The Brownings are on 20 ga frames as were the Berettas until this year, the Franchi 20/28 Veloce combo is also on a 20 ga frame. I liked the Red Label ok, they are reasonably sized, of reasonable weight and cost. Straight grip 28" guns are hard to find though the best handling of the Rugers by far. For a child and for dad to have the Ruger makes a fine gun. A 28 is a real bird gun, I'd not frustrate a child with a .410.

Posts: 187 | Location: SE Nebraska, USA. | Registered: 21 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Any gun on the proportional gauge frame kicks about the same. I made the mistake of buying a tiny .410 for my boy, and it's not only difficult to hit/kill anything with but it also kicks worse than any of my 12 gauges.

The 28 has great ballistics. If I were to do it again, I'd get a 28 gauge on the (heavier) 20 gauge frame.

Steve

Posts: 1729 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 17 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snipe Hunter
posted Hide Post
Steve, it's funny that you mention that because the first time my wife shot a light 410 of mine she got a bruise. To me the recoil from a 410 isn't noticeable but with only 1/16 ounce difference in paylaod between the 3" 410 shell and the standard 28 gauge recoil isn't that much different. Of course you already know the difference between the two in killing efficiency is night and day. Personally I think a twenty gauge makes a better choice for a first gun than a 28 guage or a 410 but that is a decision everyone has to make on their own.

SH

------------------------------------
I admit there are advantages in game of every type;
But I've never heard of beast or bird to excel the twisting snipe.
Nicholas Kane, Louisiana, 1880

Got Snipe?

Posts: 83 | Location: Out in some godforsaken marsh | Registered: 21 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I guess it is to each his own. My dad shot on the Army Skeet team when he was in the service, and was/is one helluva shot with a scatter gun. My first gun was a 410 single, like a lot of kids. It was frustrating to walk the fields with him and miss time after time after time while he batted cleanup. However, his theory was that if you can learn on a 410 and hit fairly consistently, then you will be a much better wing shot when you step up in gauge.

I still break out my 410 auto loader and head off to break clays and after fifty birds I'll set it down and dust them with a 12 gauge. Only complaint I have is the price of shells for the 410.

John

Posts: 64 | Location: Shreveport, LA | Registered: 06 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Planemech, the Verona was built by F.A.I.R and not by B. Rizzini. B.Rizzini built the SIG guns and also the L.L. Bean guns.

I had some warranty issues that I was hoping to get resolve by F.A.I.R. but did not. I did talk to F.A.I.R. about the collapse of BC Outdoors, a division of PMC Ammo that imported the Verona line of guns.

I do agree that the F.A.I.R. guns are an excellent bargain as are the used Veronas that are available.

Chic Worthing

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I may not be a shotgun snob like Mr. Worthing but for my money ($650 for an O/U) the CZ is tough to beat. I've had mine for a year now and with just under 400 rds through it I'm VERY happy with it. I don't care if it is a Hugla, whatever a Hugla may be.

Not all of us can afford to spend close to a grand for a Ruger but $650 is doable.

Hey Chic Ya "Shotgun Snob"! Whats going on????

FN in MT

'I'm tryin' to think, but nothin' happens"!

Curly Howard
Definitive Stooge

Posts: 350 | Location: Cascade, Montana | Registered: 26 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Damn Frank, you horse rustler, how have you been? Been too long since I have seen you on here. I was starting to think you may have turned into a hermit.

I got back to Bozeman with my family around Christmas time for some skiing and really enjoyed the place. The -15 deg weather kind of convinced my son to stay in Washington for college and that may or may not be a good thing.

Chic Worthing

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Chic,

Ya shoulda' called me as I was around during Christmas. I'd a run out for a visit. It WAS a cold one for the Holidays out here.

Haven't been on the forums that much as it seems to be the same old stuff all the time. Not trying to sound negative but just don't post much as it usually turns into a pissin' match. Posted regarding a 400 yd elk rifle and got private message hate mail over it!!! WTF??

Thinking of pulling the pin with the Patrol by the end of the year. Been a long time since 1974 babysitting the Public. Time for a change.

Thinking of going back to RSA in 07. Also been hitting the Reno gun Shows at the Hilton twice a year or so. Good Show. Doubt If I will make SCI this year for the Convention. Can't rationalize the expense. Still riding the motorcycles like a nut, just got in from a quick run on one of the Beemers. Other than that....just getting older and grouchier day by day.

Lots of other stuff going on , drop me an e mail sometime.

njmtca@3riversdbs.net

FN in MT

'I'm tryin' to think, but nothin' happens"!

Curly Howard
Definitive Stooge

Posts: 350 | Location: Cascade, Montana | Registered: 26 October 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I have a new Ruger Red Label in my collection and I really like it so far. I would definitely recommend one to anyone looking for a well made, lightl gun for upland hunting

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Email on it's way, old friend.

Chic Worthing

One of Us
posted Hide Post
From my admittedly limited experience with the 28G, I can highly recommend the Beretta 686S, mine is a great little gun.
But it all depends on what you class as inexpensive.

Cheers, Dave.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Personally I think a twenty gauge makes a better choice for a first gun than a 28 guage or a 410 but that is a decision everyone has to make on their own.

SH

Snipe hunter, I think you're probably right as a 20 gauge puts waterfowl and slugs into the picture, but for my 9 year old, I'd be tempted to go to the 28 just because there are more of them built on 20 gauge frames than there are 20's built on 16 or 12 gauge frames.

Salvage, my Dad did the same thing. Only I started with a 20 gauge break open single shot (with a full choke). I got frustrated missing, too. 20 years later, when I started shooting clays, I found getting used to where a gun was hitting was a matter of trial and error until you started getting hits. So I think I've convinced myself that I'll do my kids a favor by loading them up a load of shells and letting them get the trial and error misses out of the way on clay targets in about 20 minutes instead of having them tromp three hours through the field in between each shot, hoping their little onboard computer remembered where they missed the previous shot, then...well, you get the idea. BTW, I still go out and shoot trap with that 20 gauge single shot shotgun occasionally.

Steve

Steve

Posts: 1729 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 17 January 2004Reply With Quote