Find
Notify
Tools

SD Rooster Chase
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of edholum
posted
Had a great pheasant hunt over the weekend when my old college buddies come down for our annual get together. Birds were plentiful and the shooting was fast. Wild birds and only hunted 300 acres the whole weekend.

Still the most beautiful bird a guy can hunt in the whole country. But that's just my opinion.

Saturday:

Diesel

Sunday:

"Conservation through Hunting"

Posts: 260 | Location: SE South Dakota | Registered: 20 April 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fallow Buck
posted Hide Post
Great pics there!!

Looks like fun.
K

Posts: 4096 | Location: London | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
A good friend of mine used to call pheasant cocks a chicken in a clown suit! They are rather gaudy but it is always amazing the scant cover they can use to make themselves invisible. And my, when they flush with that chortling cackle they can make you forget you have a gun in your hands!

Looks like you had a grand hunt with good friends. Well done!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Evan K.
posted Hide Post
Looks like a great time! I love late season hunts. Fantastic photos too.

quote:
Originally posted by bwanamrm:
They are rather gaudy but it is always amazing the scant cover they can use to make themselves invisible.

Amazing how little it takes for them to disappear, especially if they're on the run. Fun stuff.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Posts: 776 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 05 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fantastic,
Whats better than great buddies, great dog work,
and a beautiful bag of birds, thanks for the report. Your pictures are outstanding!!

Best,
Butch

Posts: 564 | Location: texas | Registered: 29 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It looks like you had a great time. But, where are the 'old' college buddies? You guys all look pretty young to me!

Tom

Posts: 341 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 21 November 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Great pictures. Use to love to hunt pheasants in the 60's when we had lots of them in Western New York. Don't think i have seen one now in 20 years. The change in farming did away with the pheasant population.

Posts: 45 | Location: W.N.Y. | Registered: 17 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
congrat on your hunt, nice pics, I just returned from our 6th annual SD pheasant hunt, 14 of us shot just shy of 100 roosters on a three day hunt. Had great weather and good times were had by all. Wish i took time to take some nice pics but i didn't , to busy enjoying myself

Posts: 1019 | Location: Imperial, NE | Registered: 05 January 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've heard them called "Chinese ditch pigeons." Most beautiful bird around.

Posts: 83 | Location: Gainesville, Ga  | Registered: 05 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Did you hunt private or public land ?

Posts: 1195 | Location: Billings,MT | Registered: 24 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of edholum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by twilli:
Did you hunt private or public land ?

We have 320 acres of private land here in SE South Dakota. We only hunted that half section that whole weekend.

Just was out there this weekend and only shot a few birds. Those late season birds sure are smart and spooky!

"Conservation through Hunting"

Posts: 260 | Location: SE South Dakota | Registered: 20 April 2009Reply With Quote