Find
Notify
Tools

Wyatt's 2nd duck hunt
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of daniel77
posted
We managed to go again for the last day of the first split, and this time we went down to Grand Cheniere with a friend of mine and had a proper marsh hunt. I was so worried about keeping him warm and bringing all the gloves, three hats, two jackets, etc. that I left his drink and honey buns in the truck. Way to go dad. After a bit, my buddy was kind enough to take the boat back to the truck and retrieve them for us. Aren't duck hunters great?

We'd also had a family Christmas party the night before so Wyatt, who is 3 1/2, didn't get to bed till 10:15 pm and was rolled out at 3:50 am. I was sure that he'd sleep in the truck for the 1 1/2 hr ride down there, but his mind was full of questions and he only slept an hour or so. We've just gotten back home at about 4:00 pm and the poor little guy is a zombie.

To sum up the hunt, it was pretty windy, but no mosquitoes. We had a lot of ducks and geese about, but none that wanted to work into range. They have more water than is wanted down there right now, and the ducks were wanting to be on the other side of the pond from our blind. We did manage to shoot a BW teal and a spoonbill, but had no dog, and found neither. We gave up about 9 am and headed back to camp for breakfast. Of course four flew into the decoys while we were loading into the boat and had already unloaded the guns. A couple of other boys (16, 9, and 8) were in camp and wanted to hunt some more. After some eggs, biscuits and sausage, Wyatt was glad to hunt with the big boys so we struck out again for some pass shooting. The older boy went out on his own a few hundred yds away, and the younger boys stayed with me. I must say that I was impressed with the safety and reserved hunting of these two boys. They had one 20 gauge and loaded it with only one shell at a time and took turns. I hope Wyatt is as capable as those boys at that age. Anyway, here is our bag by about 1 pm.

Posts: 3628 | Location: cajun country | Registered: 04 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
Now that's what I'm talking about. Great smiles all around (well, not so much on the ducks). Wink

Way to go, and thanks for sharing, bud.

KG

P.S. You better get your act together as far as remembering that young man's vittles in the future! Smiler

Hunting: I'd kill to participate.

Posts: 2897 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good for you.

My sons are 26 and 19. I started taking them when they were 3. It has made a huge difference in their life.

He will remember these times forever.

Posts: 12005 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote