Find
Notify
Tools

First grouse in years!
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of The Slug
posted
I know this is very old hat to many of you guys but this past fall I started grouse hunting again after a 20 year hiatus. This was the first bird I bagged so I thought I'd share my excitement!

-+-+-

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun." - The Dalai Lama

Posts: 730 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well done! I hope that you keep chasing them. Grouse hunting can become really addictive and are great on the table.

Posts: 509 | Location: Flathead county Montana | Registered: 28 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
Way to go, Sluggy. Give me a few seasons and I'll mold you into a hard-core bird hunter yet! Wink

Hunting: I'd kill to participate.

Posts: 2897 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice.....Shot my first one this past fall too.....I plan on putting a serious hurt on the partridge population in NH next year.....Slug, I understand you and I hail from the same parts, we should grab KG and smack a few birds next year.

Posts: 2717 | Location: NH | Registered: 03 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of The Slug
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Norton:
Nice.....Shot my first one this past fall too.....I plan on putting a serious hurt on the partridge population in NH next year.....Slug, I understand you and I hail from the same parts, we should grab KG and smack a few birds next year.

You are cordially invited to my place, about 45 minutes South of you, where the grouse are plentiful. My kids and wife call them "tree chickens! If I had shot better I'd have limited out this past season. Seriously, let's get together with KG and do this. I can't wait 'til October!

-+-+-

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun." - The Dalai Lama

Posts: 730 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Slug.....I'll def take you up on that offer. My dog(GWP)oughta be that much better by next season. I'm sure KG will be in like Flynn as well.

Posts: 2717 | Location: NH | Registered: 03 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of collector
posted Hide Post
Congratulations....I always save their "ruffs" and use them for bookmarks.

This bird of yours is sort of in a Red phase...I am wondering if you get the Grey phase in your area ???

Posts: 947 | Location: Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 12 November 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of The Slug
posted Hide Post
I think the ones I see this time of year tend to be more grayish than the one pictured

-+-+-

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Slug:

You managed to stay away from hunting ruffs (or "pats" as I guess you call them in your neck of the woods)? Here, I thought you might be a recovered addict but you disappoint me! Smiler (I have not hunted ruffed grouse in nearly 15 years and miss it very much,believe me!) Make sure you get back to the addiction that all "intelligent" bird hunters share - we hunt "the king of game birds". (Sorry, Kamo Gari)

Posts: 680 | Location: NY | Registered: 10 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
King of game birds? Sheeit. They're so smart, last fall one flew into my windshield. Never had a duck do that.... Smiler

quote:
Originally posted by Gerrypeters375:
The Slug:

You managed to stay away from hunting ruffs (or "pats" as I guess you call them in your neck of the woods)? Here, I thought you might be a recovered addict but you disappoint me! Smiler (I have not hunted ruffed grouse in nearly 15 years and miss it very much,believe me!) Make sure you get back to the addiction that all "intelligent" bird hunters share - we hunt "the king of game birds". (Sorry, Kamo Gari)

Hunting: I'd kill to participate.

Posts: 2897 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of The Slug
posted Hide Post
I wish a duck would do that, free eats!

-+-+-

One of Us
posted Hide Post
KG:

My previous offhand post reference to you was by way of an Irishman's desire to apologize. (No, I don't recall why I was set off but I do apologize. I know it was my stupid hot temper that can be very unreasonable at times - the curse of the Irish) Now to better themes- ruffs act very peculiarly in Spring. In fact, they can act like barnyard chickens and any one familiar with them can wonder "This is a game bird?" It's in the Autumn that things change!Smiler I don't insult your bird so leave mine alone! Smiler (Of course, we all can agree that it's a pretty dumb bird that responds to a mechanical call being used by putting one's mouth to a piece of wood and blowing. That's not to insult your bird, of course -but there ain't no "grouse calls",are there?) Smiler

Posts: 680 | Location: NY | Registered: 10 July 2009Reply With Quote