THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIRD SHOOTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Bird Shooting    Which 20 gauge over/under for high volume dove?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which 20 gauge over/under for high volume dove?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have shot about 30,000 rounds through a 12 gauge Urgartechea side-by-side while dove hunting in Argentina. The dove loads are light enough that I have had no bruising. The only mechanical problems have had a few firing pins breaking. Other than that, it has been easy to keep functioning despite the dirty shells that we use. Gun cleaning at the end of the day is so much easier than when I shoot a semi-auto.

I would like to purchase a 20 gauge over/under for high volume dove. I am wondering what models hold up well when put to the test in Argentina?

Thanks.

Posts: 276 | Location: hendersonville, nc 28739 | Registered: 18 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Browning Citori should do fine, but I like the more slender profile of the Beretta, which is made without the underlugs. These aren't the only two that would work in high-volume conditions, but are probably the most affordable (assuming you don't intend to buy a "disposable" Brazilian or Russian shotgun.) I've heard mixed reports on the metallurgy of the Turkish Huglus (now imported by CZ), but am trying out a 28 SxS now.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have to agree with Stonecreek on the Beretta, after owning and shooting both a Browning Lightening and a Beretta, I also prefer the Beretta.

But since you seem to be used to the weight, heft and swing of a 12Ga, you might also look into a 20 Ga Ruger Red Lable because it's more inline with the 12 gauges in weight and would lessen recoil some with the added weight.

A word of caution, the over and unders require a steaper break angle to load and unload the bottom barrel than a side by side does, which can be a bit of a problem in some situations. You will know your shooting conditions best, and I am sure you will make the right choice. Good luck on your quest, Rusty.

Posts: 280 | Location: Fresno, California | Registered: 27 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Which model Beretta are you referring to?

My Ugartechea 12 gauge side-by-side only weighs 6 3/4 pounds.

I have had a well known wingshooting writer tell me that a Ruger Red Label won't stand up to the abuse that a gun gets when hunting dove in Argentina. What do others of you think?

I would also like to hear from a couple of the outfitters who live in Argentina for their opinions.

Thanks guys for the info.

Ron L

Posts: 276 | Location: hendersonville, nc 28739 | Registered: 18 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Having taken a Red Label to Argentina and put it through it's paces (after about a gazillion rounds on the skeet range) I can say with certainty that the writer in question didn't know what he was talking about. It would be more than up to the task.

Posts: 852 | Location: Austin | Registered: 24 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use a 20 ga 686 onix beretta. Great gun, Nice shooting, Lightweight. Highly recommended.

one of us
Picture of JohnAir
posted Hide Post
Beretta 682 sporting with 30 inch barrels, or for something a little different (lighter but still very stout) a Merkell O/U (boxlock not sidelock).

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My Beretta is a Bl-4. I bought it so long ago that I didn't thing the model number would have any meaning for anyone...Rusty.

Posts: 280 | Location: Fresno, California | Registered: 27 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
Ron buy a ruger ou they are very strong and ligthweigth i used two for thousands of shells a year and they are very good.Ihave too brocken firing ping with my remington europa ou .But i believe the ideal gun for my country is a benelli semiauto .Juan

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6382 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Claret_Dabbler
posted Hide Post
A Beretta 686 or 687 in 20 bore with 29 1/2" or 30" barrels. Bring a few spare firing pins and springs etc.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not out to get you....

Posts: 1484 | Location: Northern Ireland | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
What about Fabarm Axis ? Anybody shooted this one ?

Posts: 2111 | Location: Czech Republic | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty Hook:
My Beretta is a Bl-4. I bought it so long ago that I didn't thing the model number would have any meaning for anyone...Rusty.

I found a BL-3 (same as -4 but with extractors) in 28 gauge NIB a couple of years ago. I can't even find that the 28 gauge was cataloged. It's now my favorite shotgun.

The BL series came along after Garcia picked up importation from Galef. Under Galef, the O/U's were the Silver and Golden Snipe series. Interestingly, Beretta has now returned to the "Silverhawk" as the name for its SxS.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of H T
posted Hide Post
SmilerLeaving for Argentina on Saturday, so I thought I'd read the postings on this forum. Good discussion.

My one other trip to Argentina was an eye opener. The volume of shooting has to be seen to be believed. The guys at the lodge that take care of the guns liked the following for reliability:
Beretta Auto
Benelli Auto
Beretta O/U

On the other hand, they didn't care for:
Winchester auto
Remington auto
Browning auto

I took an old Ithaca Model 37 pump (20 gauge), and by the end of the first day had worn out the extractor. Switched to their Beretta 686 and loved it.

Already have a 12 gauge in Model 682, but figured that was too much. So am returning this time with a Model 687. No slam on Ruger's great field shotguns, but Beretta's are hard to beat.

Posts: 742 | Location: Kerrville, TX | Registered: 24 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've been to this discussion in the past and will reiterate: I have been to Argentina twice, Uraguay once and Paraguay twice. On all of these trips I have taken the same two guns both 20's; a Browning Belgian lightning and a Charles Daly (Miroku), both o/u's. Neither gun has missed a beat!!! The only guys that had trouble were the guys shooting the autos. Period!

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5523 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote