New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bird Launcher
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am posting this here because the dog forum is a bit dead to say the least.

A number of years ago I built some bird Launchers that basically were a catapult made of Victor Rat Trap springs and wire and screen mesh that threw the bird in the air when a string was pulled. I have long since lost the plans for this contraption. I used it to train bird dogs over pidgeons in the off season.

Does anyone know how these are put together? I have an idea but I do not want to reinvent the wheel if I can help it.

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I contacted my old partner in crime from my dog training days and he gave the contraption to his son in law in the last few years and is going to either get it back for me or take some digital photos of it. If anyone is interested in seeing how it works, post here and I will get some photos on here for your viewing.

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use a series of remote bird launchers. Mine work for pigeons or quail. They are a godsend for getting a dog broke properly. Use them to pop socks and such for stop to flush breaking, etc.... Would be interested in seeing yours. I have some old manual release traps that don't throw the bird. Regardless, I would like to build a few large ones for "covies" for the pointers and getting pups fired up. Guiding and trial season is here and I carry the traps for constant tune ups. Thanks for any info. Always want to learn from other trainers.
Best,
Jeff

Posts: 177 | Location: Arcadia, Florida | Registered: 15 March 2002Reply With Quote
<Savage 99>
posted
You must know how to put a pidgeon to sleep so that it does not fly off till the dog gets there?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Not sure if it will help, but Cabela's sells launchers (go to www.cabelas.com and search "bird launchers"). One of the manual models is only $55.

Regards, Bill

Posts: 1169 | Location: USA | Registered: 23 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cost of this one is probably around $5 and a small amount of labor and Savage99, yes you have to know how to put them to sleep but that is a real no brainer. But they can not get away even if they are awake, The launcher holds them in a screen purse that when sprung becomes the trampoline that tosses them in the air.