New
Find
Notify
Tools

thoughts on Rem 870?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
i dont if this is the right forum to post on, but i couldn't find one named shotguns.

i'm looking for a 12/3,5" shotgun, it will be used primarely for goose

what do you think of a Remington 870 Express Super Magnum as a goose gun?
http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/shotguns/mod...per_magnum_specs.asp

Posts: 930 | Location: Norway | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 870 is one of, if not the most reliable shotguns on the market. It would make a fine goose gun. The only problem is the Express has a rough finish which will rust while you're looking at it. Be sure to keep it oiled if you don't like rust.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LRH270
posted Hide Post
The 870 Express is not nearly as slick as the Wingmaster was, and doesn't seem to be made capable of being so. With the fiberglass stock and 3 1/2" goose loads they also kick something fierce.

Unless you want to use it somewhere that you can't have a semi-auto, the 11-87 SuperMag is much friendlier IMHO.

RMEF Life Member
SCI
DRSS
Chapuis 9,3/9,3 + 20/20
Simson 12/12/9,3
Zoli 7x57R/12
Kreighoff .470/.470

We band of 9,3ers!

The Few. The Pissed. The Taxpayers.

Posts: 1580 | Location: Arizona and Nevada since 1979. | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Take a new 870express out clay target shooting and shoot it a bunch and it'll slick up nicely.

I have a Wingmaster and a 3" express and if it weren't for the different finish of the wood on each shotgun
(And I've replaced the factory wood on the express with trap model wood) you couldn't tell them apart with your eyes closed.

Yes, that rough "express" finish rusts while you watch but for a goose gun I wouldn't recommend oiling it

Instead disassemble completely and carefully degrease the outside of the shotgun (brake parts cleaner from the auto parts store and a toothbrush) then coat the outside of the barrel and receiver with matte finish clear enamel

Or if you prefer apply a "wetlands" friendly camo pattern to it to match your goose hunting camo.

Paint is more "persistant" than oil and doesn't need to be reapplied quite so often.

And if you hunt goose where it's wet it'll save you a lot of effort and aggrevation.

AD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
I'm not familiar with the newer 870s but I have owned several Wingmasters and a Special Field with 3" chamber, short magazine/barrel and English grip and my opinion of them is very high. I have owned quite a few more expensive and sophisticated shotguns including Winchester 12s, Remington 31s, Ithaca 37s, Browning A5s and a few sxs's and o/u's but I now hunt mainly with my 870s. The 870 is simple, thoroughly reliable, smooth, handles very well and is tough and trouble free.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've got both an 870 12g Wingmaster and a 3 1/2" Express Super Mag; the Wingmaster, about 23 years old, is smoother, but not by a huge margin. I like the Express, but as posted above it does rust quickly.... It also kicks a fair amount, but I'm used to it. I've taken it to Alberta twice for geese/ducks, shot nothing but 3" mags and they worked perfectly. I very rarely, if ever, shoot 3 1/2" shells anymore as the shot string is simply too long to provide any noticeable advantage over 3" mags..

I recommend either (or both Big Grin) they are all I ever use for waterfowl...

Regards,
Craig Nolan

Best Regards,

Craig Nolan

Posts: 403 | Location: South of Alamo, Ca. | Registered: 30 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cable68
posted Hide Post
I love my 870 express, it's the 3" though (bought it before the 3 1/2" was available). It got some sand in the slide in a Texas rice field, but once got that cleared it has been smoother than ever.

I've got a Super X2 that takes 3 1/2" shells, but with the better steel shot out there I'm not that sure you really need that extra 1/2"; and with all the new "wondershot" materials out there 2 3/4" may really be all you need. I've never used any of those new shot materials because I'm a cheap bastard, but I'm killin fowl with steel so why bother.

Caleb

Posts: 1010 | Location: Texan in Muskogee, OK now moved to Wichita, KS | Registered: 28 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Andrew M.
posted Hide Post
I have both an 870 3" wingmaster (which was my 1st "duck" gun) and an 870 3.5" express. As stated here the express is a bit rougher finish-wise and the bolt is not a solid 1 peice like on the wingmaster. For all of that it seems very reliable though I haven't put all that many rounds thru it compared to the wingmaster. If I used the express (or any shotgun for that matter) alot for waterfowling, I'd have it "dipped" (especially since I hunt on the bays and in the salt marsh a bit). The dipping keeps a lot of corrosion off the external parts on the ones I have. Of course the dipping would cost almost as much as an 870 express does new. All that being said an 870 3.5" would make an excellent goose gun. 3.5's may not be strickly necessary but it is a nice-to-have when using bigger shot sizes. I use 3.5's primarily later in the season. As mentioned above If you do alot of your goose shooting from a laying down position I't recommend an autoloader.

Posts: 51 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of adamhunter
posted Hide Post
I've have the Express Super Mag as well. I've used it for dove, ducks/geese, turkey, and as a boat paddle and it has done fine with all. It's survived several dunkings in a duck pond where it wasn't cleaned before shooting and it performed flawlessly. Echoing what everyone else said; it is fierce with 3.5" and rusts quickly. For the money, you can't beat it.

30+ years experience tells me that perfection hit at .264. Others are adequate but anything before or after is wishful thinking.

Posts: 854 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: 20 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

I've had a regular Ole 2 3/4" Wingmaster (L/H Model, too) since 1977. The wood took such a beating that I switched it for a SpeedFeed Monte Carlo synthetic stock - fantastic shotgun IMO for Wild Fowling period. Never had a hickup with mine. Never intentionally abused it but it's sure taken a beating over the years.

O.K. - I have to admit if you're hung up on shooting 3" or 3.5"ers then you're gonna have to go with the new Model, I shoot Geese & Ducks with 2 3/4" Steel in my Modified barrel and it depicts absolutely no signs of fatigue.

Yeah, I'll be the first to say that the larger shells will give some extended range and power but over all the years (and my hunting environments) I've only ever missed out on a few shots; so it doesn't make Hill-of-Beans to me. Opinions & hunting circumstances vary, though.

As an option perhaps there's the odd 870 Wingmaster For Sale in Norway? Although I can't figure out for the life of me why someone would want to sell such a great piece.

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have the best of both worlds, a Wingmaster with a 3.5" chamber! It used to look very pretty, but after a bunch of duck, goose, turkey, squirrel, dove, and assorted other game hunts, it doesn't look so good now. They only made these for a year or 2, but luckily I snagged one while they were out (actually my dad got it for me for Christmas). Anyway, a friend has the 3.5" Express, and while it isn't as smooth as my Wingmaster, it isn't too bad, especially when you consider the money they go for. So, I think your choice would make a very fine goose gun!

I heal fast and don't scar.

Posts: 433 | Location: Monessen, PA | Registered: 23 February 2005Reply With Quote