THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIRD SHOOTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Bird Shooting    Some pics from our recent Spanish Partridge hunt

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Some pics from our recent Spanish Partridge hunt
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Fallow Buck
posted

Posts: 4096 | Location: London | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great pictures, would love to do a hunt like this in Spain.

Posts: 564 | Location: texas | Registered: 29 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
Red partriges in spain ,one of the must do hunts of the world .

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6382 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fallow Buck
posted Hide Post
Juan,

I agree. I have been shooting red leg partridges since I was twelve and I thought it was amazing how different the experience was shooting them in Spain.

The team of five shot for two days and now plan to go two or three times a year as they enjoyed it so much.

Butch, if you fancy joining one of our groups, drop me a PM and I an give you the details.

Rgds,
K

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great pictures Fallow Buck, and congrats on a great hunt. I really liked the picture of that dinner, a great spread, and some beautiful red wine. What an experience.

I haven't been to Spain since '88. That's way too long; I need to get back.

Mike

JP Sauer Drilling 12x12x9.3x72
David Murray Scottish Hammer 12 Bore
Alex Henry 500/450 Double Rifle
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock 6.5x55
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock .30-06
Walther PPQ H2 9mm
Walther PPS M2
Cogswell & Harrison Hammer 12 Bore Damascus
And Too Many More

Posts: 1857 | Location: Chattanooga, TN | Registered: 10 August 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fallow Buck
posted Hide Post
Mike,

We are heading back for another round of festivities on the 27th feb. We may add in a day of boar and deer hunting too if time allows.

You are welcome to join the group. PM me if you would like details.

K

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello, What region of Spain was the hunt? We have a friend from Catalonia who noticed the fuet on the plate.

Posts: 428 | Location: Western Montana | Registered: 05 June 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fallow Buck
posted Hide Post
We were just outside of Barcelona. It is about 45 mins from the airport slightly to the east if I remember.

K

one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Vino tinto, Iberican jamon, sporty partridges and lavender socks! Life can't get any finer than that!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
nice looking driven shoot, i didnt think auto's are permitted or good etiquette on such shoots?
Certainly not in the UK!
Kiri am interested in doing this next season, combining with our trip to UK for grouse/pheasant. PM me mpre info please.

Nick

Posts: 665 | Location: EU | Registered: 05 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Are these partridges the same bird that we call chukars in the US? They are very similar.

Posts: 12103 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Larry:

They are quite similar but not the same species. Chukars are "alectoris chukar" and red legged are "alectoris rufa". The markings are similar as well, as you noted, but the chukar has more distinctive striping around the neck, and on the wings.

Looks like a good hunt and a great time. I'd love to do it, but the costs I've seen have always been quite high.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fallow Buck
posted Hide Post
Larry,

Indeed as Gatorago says the main distinction is the stripe ont he throat. Chukars do not have the speckled throat that the red legs have. Instead they have a solid bar under the chin.

To my mind the Chukar (in its true wild form) storms into my top 5 global game birds as a bird to hunt over dogs. However it doesn't really lend itself to driven shooting. The red legs on the other hand are a great bird to walk up but really excel as a driven bird.

I grew up hunting Chukars andf they have a special place in my heart even though the mountains they live in seem to get steeper every time I go back!!

Will yo0u be singing past the booth in Dallas next week?

Rgds,
K

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hope to be there.

Posts: 12103 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kiri.....fantastic! I'm going to have to join you one of these years.

Posts: 2717 | Location: NH | Registered: 03 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fallow Buck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:
I hope to be there.

Of course I meant swing by, but if you want to start breaking out the tunes then who am I to stop you!!!

Rgds,
K

one of us
Picture of Fallow Buck
posted Hide Post
Norton,

We should make a plan for sure.

I am working on a two/three day driven grouse shoot, followed by two or three days driven partridges in Spain. It would make for a great trip all round. We would spend a couple of days in London to see the sights and visit the gunmakers etc in between. Probably good for October or late September.

Rgds,
K

one of us
Picture of Fallow Buck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nickh:
nice looking driven shoot, i didnt think auto's are permitted or good etiquette on such shoots?
Certainly not in the UK!
Kiri am interested in doing this next season, combining with our trip to UK for grouse/pheasant. PM me mpre info please.

Nick

Nick,

We don't tend to use a semi auto on driven shoots due to the difficulty in showing it is safe from a distance as well as the traditional aspect.

You have a pm.

Rgds,
K

one of us
posted Hide Post
Very nice , very formal !
Is that cheese Manchego ? A fine cheese , a favorite of mine.

one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
DEAR FRIEND EXCELLENT HUNT THE RED LEG PARTRIGE IS ON MY WISH LIST
CONGRATULATIONS . clap

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA

Posts: 6382 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fallow Buck
posted Hide Post
It is indeed manchego, bought in a 5kg wheel!!!

Myself and Mikey did our best to eat it all but when combined with that amazing name we were floored!!!

Just booked to yo in November, so if anyone fancies taking a peg, let me know.

K

one of us
Picture of Fallow Buck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by juanpozzi:
DEAR FRIEND EXCELLENT HUNT THE RED LEG PARTRIGE IS ON MY WISH LIST
CONGRATULATIONS . clap

Juan,

I will be in Argentina in April. If you want o get a beer then let me know.

K

one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
posted 29 December 2013 23:18 Hide Post
Vino tinto, Iberican jamon, sporty partridges and lavender socks! Life can't get any finer than that!

beer
quote:
posted 29 December 2013 23:18 Hide PostANY SERIOUS WING SHOOTER MUST HUNT RED LEG PARTRIGE IN SPAIN ,MY FAVOURITE SPORT HERE IN ARGENTINA IS PARTRIGE.
SURE MY FRIEND LET ME KNOW WHERE YOU WILL BE OR YOU CAN CAME TO MY FARM SHARE AN ASADO AND SHOOT SOME BIRDS WITH ME.

DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA

One of Us
posted Hide Post
THis is Smiler good life

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar professional hunter

Posts: 331 | Location: Argentina | Registered: 29 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
D*mn! Who has to clean all those birds? They tried planting Redlegs here in Oregon years ago but they didn't take.

Posts: 526 | Location: Antelope, Oregon | Registered: 06 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The French Red legs did take here in Oregon quite well, just got to get off your ass and hunt. I harvest them every year south of Hermiston and Heppner as well as the foothills of Cabbage hill off of I-84 near Pendleton. They hang out where the Hungarian partridges hang out. You need a decent pointing dog though to be successful.

one of us
Picture of Fallow Buck
posted Hide Post
Don,

They go into the local town and are donated to the locals who love eating game. There used to be a really strong industry of canning the partridges in a traditional way but some smart @rse decided it wasn't safe due to the lead content of the shot birds...

Plant was shut down and now there is no resell value for the birds, so they get bartered!! It is a very Mediterranean way of doing things to ensure nothing is wasted.

By the way I should say thanks to everyone that came and visited us at DSC after seeing these pics. We are already planning next seasons spanish shoots and I'm looking forward to sharing it with more AR members.

Rgds,
Kiri

one of us
posted Hide Post
It's been awhile since I've seen a long-legged Brittany - it seems the breeder's here in the US like them short-legged.

I shot a Brittany field trail some year's back and I still remember a young, long-legged bitch
that had a stylish manner, a great nose but was still unsure who was the senior partner between her and her owner.

I do love a dog that would rather be in the field than anything else - and looks like he/she is enjoying it.

DB Bill aka Bill George

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fallow Buck
posted Hide Post
Bill I'm the same, and I prefer my springer spaniels to have the same slightly longer legs.

The brittanies are very popular in Spain and Portugal.

I shot partridges in Portugal over brittanies a few weeks back, and it was great fun. I will post some pics if I get a chance.

K