New
Find
Notify
Tools

Kansas Sandhill Crane
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm looking to hunt Sandhills in Kansas this fall. Any recommendations on guides?

Perception is reality
regardless the truth!

Stupid people should not breed

DRSS
NRA Life Member
Owner of USOC Adventure TV

Posts: 923 | Location: Phx Az and the Hills of Ohio | Registered: 13 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can recomend a guide in the texas panhandle if you would like, we hunt them every year there, and usually have very good luck.

I even shot a banded sandhill there a few years back, which is rare, rare, rare....

I know you asked about kansas, but I dont have any experience there.

Posts: 589 | Location: Austin TX, Mexico City | Registered: 17 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Joe R. Lock
posted Hide Post
They are all over the place here in central Florida. But, I can't understand why anyone would want to hunt the things.
joe

Posts: 236 | Location: Florida | Registered: 08 September 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of collector
posted Hide Post
I have hunted them in Texas. We had a blast. They were there in good number late in the season. Hunting was by permit only, and after harvesting the bird you had to attach the tag to the leg. Breast meat was absolutely fantastic as they had been feeding on different kinds of grain during their migratory stay in Texas. Some people even call them "Rib-eye in the sky". Very good table fare. I breasted mine out and then had it mounted by the taxidermist. He is about 44" tall. Wingspan was huge as you can see from the inset picture, we laid one out on the suburban and it was easily 6 ft.

Here is the picture of the mount.

FLORIDA SANDHILL CRANES
The sandhill crane sub-species found in Florida is non-migratory and it is protected. You cannot hunt them in FL.

Posts: 947 | Location: Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 12 November 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The meat of the Sandhill Crane is very, very good.

I have never hunted them, but I would love to kill and have a couple of dozen in my freezer. Eeker Big Grin

One of my buddies has hunted them a lot and he brings the meat to the deer lease.

I can definately see [taste actually] why they are called "the Rib Eye in the Sky"...

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They call them the "ribeye of the Sky", they are are the best eating bird that there is. In fact they may be the best of all game. They re a real challenge to hunt and they make an incredible mount. Try the outfitter, "Panhandles Best" in Texas. They use only Taxidermy quality decoys.

Posts: 259 | Location: Marietta, Georgia | Registered: 04 July 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Evan K.
posted Hide Post
I drove through central Nebraska a little over a month ago and saw thousands of the sandhill cranes in fields along I-80. There were many ducks and geese moving too but the cranes dominated the sky. I haven't hunted them but imagine you could fill the freezer if you really got into them.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Posts: 776 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 05 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I know there were an estimated 10,000 of them on the Quivira Wetlands in central Kansas at any time past season. Reason enough to hunt them. The only outfit I know of is Sand Hills Guide Service (620) 617-6504. I have not hunted with them, but a friend did a long time ago and had a good trip.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote