New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pheasant load
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I found a steel shot that works, Kent fast steel. Got my limit the other day all one shot kills. I was using 4 shot very pleased with the stuff.

Posts: 47 | Location: NW Iowa | Registered: 29 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Customstox
We think the same, I just got back from some late season SD pheasants, used my 28 with 1 oz. 5's, never had a bird run.

A shot not taken is always a miss

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Strut10

As an old (retired) NY pheasant hunter I read your post with interest. My father (and I'm 75) used to urge me to use #8s in my 12 ga. I was doubtful (what 16 yr. old thinks his father knows anything?) Smiler As I got older I simply stayed with #6s because they did work. I hunted pheasants principally in brushy ravines. (In fact, we called them "brush" pheasants) Reading your post made me smile. The old man was right after all! Smiler Of course, I think you'll agree that the secret of your success is in those two words "High Brass" or as we said when I was a kid {and inaccurately} "High Base"- in either event meaning a load that had more powder behind it than "field loads". Anyway thanks for an interesting post.

Posts: 800 | Location: NY | Registered: 01 June 2005Reply With Quote