Find
Notify
Tools

Florida Doves
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Joe R. Lock
posted
I was lucky enough to draw a season permit for the Hilochee WMA in central Florida. Opening day is September 27th. Does anyone know what the forecast for dove populations are this year? We don't get the migrants until later in the season, so does anyone know what the forecast might be for some of the northern sataes?
joe

Posts: 236 | Location: Florida | Registered: 08 September 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Joe R. Lock:
I was lucky enough to draw a season permit for the Hilochee WMA in central Florida. Opening day is September 27th. Does anyone know what the forecast for dove populations are this year? We don't get the migrants until later in the season, so does anyone know what the forecast might be for some of the northern sataes?
joe

Good luck - dove season is relatively safe. I stay away from Central Florida - actually any Florida public WMA in gun season. Too many idiots with ARs hunting and poor gun and hunter safety.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Joe R. Lock
posted Hide Post
You are probably right. I usually just hunt birds and squirrels. There are some spots out at the Green Swamp WMA where I see very few hunters. I hunt squirrels in the hardwood thickets and rarely see another hunter. Most of the deer hunters there seem to be attracted to the pines and palmettos and stay away from the hardwoods. Just don't go where you see cars and trucks parked.
joe

Posts: 236 | Location: Florida | Registered: 08 September 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beretta682E:
quote:
Originally posted by Joe R. Lock:
joe

Good luck - dove season is relatively safe. I stay away from Central Florida - actually any Florida public WMA in gun season. Too many idiots with ARs hunting and poor gun and hunter safety.

Agree 100%..plus FL has to much scattered feed areas for an old fashion dove hunt plus the heat does not help.........................

Mike

Posts: 282 | Location: TALLAHASSEE,FL | Registered: 08 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike, I do not know what the hell happened on that last post........................JKC

Posts: 282 | Location: TALLAHASSEE,FL | Registered: 08 September 2013Reply With Quote