New
Find
Notify
Tools

Browning BSS Sidelock
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have a chance to purchase a 12 bore BSS Sidelock 28 inch barrels for $3,500. I was wondering if you gents had any opinions or information on this gun. It appears very few were made. It is choked Mod/Full so I would probably open the chokes some. It also appears unfired. It would be used primarily for upland game. Is this something I should jump on or pass? Thanks.

Posts: 136 | Location: USA | Registered: 06 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have two standard BSS's they are very good guns.

Posts: 19621 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
pass - way to much $$

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Browning BSS Sidelock

Like this one for $1349?
https://www.gunsamerica.com/99...28bls-m-f-nsst-9.htm

Posts: 2717 | Location: NH | Registered: 03 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Norton:
quote:
Browning BSS Sidelock

Like this one for $1349?
https://www.gunsamerica.com/99...28bls-m-f-nsst-9.htm

That's not the side lock BSS.

Posts: 795 | Location: Vero Beach, Florida | Registered: 03 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The linked gun is a box lock. Looking online the side locks look to be going for $4,000 to $5,000 for the 12 so I think the price is good. I was more interested in opinions of quality and handling. Thanks.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Price is good depending on condition. As far as handling, I don't love them, but I have a friend who loves his. Certainly would try before I bought. Most find them "clubby" feeling due to the thick barrels.

Posts: 167 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would not alter the chokes since it would affect the collectors value
The BSS where made in several variations in 20 and 12, they where produced from 1971 to 1987
The standard with 26 or 28" barrels imp cly and mod in the 26 and full/mod in 28 or 30 (12 only)
early models where 2.75" chamber with silver non selective triggers. a couple years latter chamber t0 3" with gold selective triggers. They came in grade II also

The side lock where double trigger with fixed choked 2.75" they where considered the primo model and sold for upwards of 3 to 4 times the standard model

Browning reincarnated the sxs I for got the designation but they where also sidelock and priced in the $10K range

NRA Life Member, ILL Rifle Assoc Life Member, Navy

Posts: 2300 | Location: Monee, Ill. USA | Registered: 11 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Oops.....sorry bout that homebrew.

Posts: 2717 | Location: NH | Registered: 03 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For that money I would pick up an lc smith or parker if you want American. Plenty of Birmingham trade guns out there for that money if you wanted benchmade british. Or a sauer. Get what ever floats your boat when you are back in the cabin at night and cleaning the gun. Life is too short for shotguns you don't love and don't have character.

Posts: 167 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
I never shot one but they were reported as being very decent sidelocks and well worth the money. They received very good reviews in several magazines over the years. A write up by Bill Hanus convinced me I should look for one. I did look for a time but it seemed like all I could find were models with 26" barrels. The 28" gun should handle nicely. I would shoot it and pattern it with the primary ammunition/load you plan on using before opening the chokes.

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I researched them a few years back. Hadn't even realized they existed up till then. Apparently they were a very short run, as they just never sold well. And, yes they run up to 6500.00 cdn when i went to find one.
I finally found a pair at a spring gunshow in Calgary, and they were new/unfired for 5500.00 each. When I finally had a chance to get my hands on them, I found the wood was left overly proud in the fit, and the feel was very "clunky". Heavy, awkward, and just not your normal "browning" fit. After actually trying to mount one, I am very glad I didn't jump into a sale online to buy one untried!
At 3500.00, it is a good deal (pending condition) as a collector, but check in on the inspection/return policy before sending any money. Knowing what I know now, I wouldn't own one. Just my opinion.

Posts: 177 | Location: Brooks, Alberta, Canada | Registered: 17 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Got a chance to handle it and it just didn't feel quite right for me. A friend wants it more so I am going to pass. It is in great shape but the chokes are not what I would want. I do have my eye on an old WJ Jeffrey box lock extractor sxs for 1,850. It has been refinnished and reproofed in England for 2 3/4 shells. I need to get my hands on it. Maybe get it real cheap. Would be a great "beater".

one of us
posted Hide Post
The Jeffery was sold before i could handle it.

one of us
Picture of Fallow Buck
posted Hide Post
For that kind of money you can be looking at a quality English SxS. I find the continental side by sides feel like shooting a OU clay gun in the bigger bores.

The exception is the odd small bore that turns up.

K

Posts: 4096 | Location: London | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am very interested in an English gun. I do not have a great knowledge of the subject but am open to any advice you may care to share.

one of us
Picture of Fallow Buck
posted Hide Post
Hey Homebrew

Its all about finding quality before a name. We just got a great sidekick in by no name maker that has a heap of quality for £2,600. They don't hang about long but the new thing is to have a chat on the phone and get an idea of what you are looking for so that when a Suitable gun turns up we can let you know and see if it works for you.

Feel free to PM me your number and I can give you a call for a chat.

Rgds
Kiri

Posts: 4096 | Location: London | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote