New
Find
Notify
Tools

Panhandle Pheasant
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
The dogs and I made a mad dash to the Panhandle before another weather system moved in. I had about 3 days of clear weather to hunt. The shooting was awesome. As soon as we arrove I unloaded the GSP. In 20 minutes I had a quick double and I was limited out. This went on several more times thoughout the hunt. I took up a new Citori Gran Lightning 16ga. This gun is a sweety. Good to look at and even better to shoot.

Texas Verminator
Verminator Predator Calls Pro Staff

Posts: 261 | Location: Big Spring, Texas | Registered: 16 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
Hey there Tx6BR,

Good looking dog! Did you get out there right before the storm that hit the weekend before Xmas? I know you said you were going to try and make it up there.

I made it into the panhandle on friday evening just as the storm was starting to get there. We were in front of it all the way down there. It had just started snowing when we left the house and started about 10 miles from my buddies house.

We went out Saturday morning and had several inches of snow. The wind was blowing about 20 mph that morning.

The first place we hit we could see the birds as we pulled up there. They started getting up before we could get to them and never fired a shot. I bet there were probably 100-150 birds in that little covey.

The second place we went to there was a cock that flew across the road as we were getting out of the pickup. There were about 5-6 cedar trees about 20 yards from the truck and they started flying out of there like crazy. The birds were actually sitting in the trees. Needless to say, two shots on my side and three shots on my buddies side and we had out limit too. My buddy didn't hit his second bird that well with the first shot and needed a second to bring him to the ground.

I guess a four bird limit on five shots is not that bad!?

I hope to make it down there again in the very near future!

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I came back that Saturday morning. It was a rough drive to Dumas. You could sense the birds knew what was coming in a few days before that weekend. They were sure bunched up. I'm heading back up Jan. 24th if the weather allows. Have another long weekend.

The wind was blowing so hard out at the ranch it blew snow up under the top lid of my dog box. It is pretty well weather proofed too.

Bob

Texas Verminator

Posts: 261 | Location: Big Spring, Texas | Registered: 16 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
I think I might be heading down the weekend before that. I won't be able to go the last weekend because of business travel on Sunday. I know for sure I'll be headed down at least one more time before the season ends.

Good luck.

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of The Shottist
posted Hide Post
What is the season in Dumas?
The TPWD website lists the pheasant season in the Panhandle as being Dec 1 -31, and Moore County is not listed in the group of counties that have a longer season (through Feb 24). I would like to take my buys out one more time this year (we just got back from S.D.), but I am a little unsure of where to go. I would appreciate any help. Thanks.

If your hunting dog is fat, then you aren't getting enough exercise. Smiler

Posts: 598 | Location: currently N 34.41 W 111.54 | Registered: 10 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm pretty sure the Texas season is over. Our season in Oklahoma ends Jan 31.

In Jan planning a hunt can be pretty iffy at best. The weather can change on short notice and get real nasty. Just playing it by ear right now. Sure hoping me and the boys can hook up one more time this season. We may go on up to Dodge City, Kansas. I haven't killed a Kansas bird yet. Come to think of it, haven't killed one in Texas either!

Texas Verminator