THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIRD SHOOTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Bird Shooting    Want to get serious about waterfowling

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Want to get serious about waterfowling
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have never been serious about waterfowling but want to get involved this year. I have a small alluminum boat/motor and 24 decoys with access to 4 dozen more. There is a small lake a few miles away where I can hunt off the water, but the land is private owned. I have a 12 gauge 2 3/4" with steel chokes (i/c, mod, f/c). I am looking at hevishot, have been told you can use smaller shot to obtain the same killing effect of larger steel, and with more shot in the air to improve hit ratio, but its rather pricey for a beginner. Is it what I need to use, or should I just go with steel, or a blend?
I reload but based on prices I have seen I dont see much economy in buying bagged hevishot and loading my own.
I have a call someone gave me years ago but never used it in the wild. Can I get some advise on dusting some ducks? My plan is to put out some dekes and get behind some cat tails and hope for the best.
Any ideas will be appreciated,
Eterry

Good luck and good shooting.
In Memory of Officer Nik Green, #198, Oklahoma Highway Patrol Troop G...Murdered in the line of duty 12-26-03...A Good Man, A Good Officer, and A Good Friend gone too soon

Posts: 839 | Location: Between Doan's Crossing and Red River Station | Registered: 22 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
a handful of dekes wilst sitting behind cattails sounds like a good set-up to me. as long as ducks are in the area and you've some #4 steel shot, you're good to go!

Posts: 205 | Location: Hondo Tx | Registered: 22 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of thornell
posted Hide Post
Eterry, glad to here you are getting serious, but it can become addictive though. As far as shells go I usually use 2 or 4 shot and bbs for geese. I have never used heavy shot because steel does the trick just fine. I use echo calls because they are cheap and really easy to blow.
Getting behind some cattales sounds like a plan, but try to position yourself with the wind to your back because ducks will almost always land into the wind. Hope this may help a little.

Posts: 705 | Location: MIDDLE TENNESSEE | Registered: 25 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info guys, the wind to my back is a good idea. I priced hevishot and decided almost $2.00 a round is too rich for my blood. I located some Fiochhi steel 2's for $10.00 for a box of 25. Do I need a handfull of calls like I see on tv and commercials? If you could only use 1 or 2 which one would you use?
I dont have a dog, Will have to paddle over to my kills, when I get them. Do ducks move ahead of cold fronts? Seems I have heard that somewhere.
Thanks,
Eterry

Good luck and good shooting.
In Memory of Officer Nik Green, #198, Oklahoma Highway Patrol Troop G...Murdered in the line of duty 12-26-03...A Good Man, A Good Officer, and A Good Friend gone too soon

Posts: 839 | Location: Between Doan's Crossing and Red River Station | Registered: 22 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
First thing you need to know, getting serious about waterfowl leads to a serious addiction.

Here are general rules of thumb from the midwest, might be different in TX:

-Leave a landing area in the decoys.

-Wind at your back or crossing.

-Using steel shot use an I/C choke. Faster is better with steel shot try to find some in the 1500 fps range.

-Call at their wing tips and butts (swinging and going away) if they are coming lay off the call (especially if your are a beginner).

-Throwing in a few goose decoys (like 4 or 5) really improves your spread.

-Limit your movement (sit still), remember they are above you and looking down.

-Don't be afraid to move your location if you see birds working a different area.

-Scout, scout, scout (hunt where the ducks are).

-Get ready spend all your disponsable income and all kinds of new gear...that's part of the fun!

-Usually speaking-the worse the weather the better the hunting. Windy, rainy, snowy, cloudy days are the best UNLESS you are hunting flooded timber when bright sunshine is what you want.

-Have fun, there's nothing like a big bunch of mallards falling into the decoys...

Posts: 122 | Location: Zionsville, IN | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My son wasn't having very good luck with ducks and steel shot until he switched to Kent Fasteel. He says it shoots almost like lead. And it's some of the cheapest steel shotshells out there.

DRSS member

Constant change is here to stay.

Posts: 626 | Location: The soggy side of Washington State | Registered: 13 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Eterry, I think Hevi shot is definatley superior to steel shot. Yes, it's pricey. But I know it work's better on duck's and geese. I have seen duck's and geese shot with steel and sometime's they take a while to fall, kind of like a full metal jacket bullet through a animal. Again-Hevi shot kill's quicker.
Another option for you might be Bismuth.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hevishot is some awesome stuff.That being said......Im not shooting it anymore.The cost went way up this year.I did buy a box of hevisteel and shot 3 geese with #2s.3
shots....3 geese,so they work also.

Posts: 66 | Location: manchester md | Registered: 15 March 2006Reply With Quote