Find
Notify
Tools

Flintlock Pheasant
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted
A couple of pheasants I shot with my newest bird gun, a copy of an early to mid 1700s French Type C Fusil de Chasse'. The gun will also place five consecutive shots with roundball into a 4-inch circle at 50 yards. My dog, Esther, was pleased that I finally hit a couple of birds with it.

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3845 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sweet! Shoot a few quail with it and I'll be even more impressed. Wink

Posts: 2717 | Location: NH | Registered: 03 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Looks like Esther is wearing a roundball-proof vest. Is she questioning your accuracy?

Posts: 13877 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of collector
posted Hide Post
Congratulations.....what a great looking dog.

That must have been an awesome hunt with all the smoke and birds falling.

Posts: 947 | Location: Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 12 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That brings back some memories. I used to do quite a bit of upland bird and waterfowl hunting with a T/C New Englander in 12 Ga. Mostly I hunted pheasant, blue grouse, rabbit and ducks with it. But a few quail, doves and geese also went into the kitchen courtesy of my rig.

Mine was a precussion gun, not a flintlock. It was a lot of fun to see the smoke clear and see feathers floating in the air. I shot #6 lead in it. I never did try it with steel.

After seeing this post, I may need to dig my blackpowder shotgun out of the safe and take it to the fields once more.

Posts: 1039 | Location: Colorado by birth, Virginia by employment | Registered: 18 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Who made that gun? Very cool. Don't you just hate it how accurately and coldly the dog can critique your shooting?

Dean

...I say that hunters go into Paradise when they die, and live in this world more joyfully than any other men.
-Edward, Duke of York

Posts: 876 | Location: Halkirk Ab | Registered: 11 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Evan K.
posted Hide Post
Very nice! How long is the barrel?

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Posts: 776 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 05 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
Esther is usually very patient with me when I shoot this gun. It has a 42 inch barrel in .62 caliber (20-gauge) and I bought it used, so I am not sure who built it, but the workmanship is excellent. The gun carries very well, is well balanced, and fits me well. Funny thing about the dog and shooting; my wife went out on a women-only bird hunt and after she missed about 8 birds, Esther, who almost never will try to catch the birds before they have been shot, walked over to a bush, grabbed a pheasant, and brought it to my wife with one of those "mom, it's obvious you need help" looks.

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3845 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote