THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIRD SHOOTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Bird Shooting    Re: Have Ringnecked Doves come into Your Area?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Have Ringnecked Doves come into Your Area?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted
"Tennessee Wildlife" magazine has an article on them this issue (arrived today for me).
They are described as being bigger than a mourning dove (more the size of a pigeon) and does NOT count against the bag limit here in TN. It looks like they are expanding their range and even though wildlife agencies are not happy, we are not likely to see them slow down their spread into suitable habitat, even with the more liberal bag limits.

Heck when I moved to TN in 74 folks were thrilled to see a Canada Goose. NOW they are everywhere . . . EVERYWHERE!!!
Coyotes were NONEXISTENT in the state . . . The are everywhere.

We are now seeing "oppossums on the half-shell" in TN. I bet it won't be long before they will be a common road bump across the state.

Posts: 4260 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have seen quite a few here in Galveston, TX, now I just need to find a place to hunt. I did email Texas Parks and Wildlife concerning these, and this is their reply:

"We apparently have free-ranging and self-sustaining populations of ringed-turtle doves (Streptopelia risoria) in Houston and Galveston. These were probably established from birds released from weddings or funerals or escaped from pet owners. They will interbreed with Eurasian Collared Doves
(ECDO) producing hybrids that are difficult to distinguish. Both birds usually show a dark band on the back of the neck and the tail is more squared off than that of mourning dove (Zenaida macroura). ECDOs are larger and grayer than ringed-turtle doves, and have darker gray under tail feathers covering the base of the tail. ECDOs are slightly larger than white-winged doves (Zenaida asiatica) and more pigeon like in behavior.

They currently are not protected in TPW code and are considered the same as exotic privately owned wildlife. There are no limitations on means, methods, daily bag, season or shooting hours. The only restrictions would be landowner permission and a hunting license if using a firearm to take them.
Hunters are encouraged to leave plumage on all doves other than mourning dove, white-winged dove, and white-tipped dove (e.g., ringed-turtle or
ECDOs) for species identification.

Sincerely,

Wildlife Information" < !--color-->

Looks like we can get all we want, though most of them have been seen in residential neighborhoods, and our office landscaping is loaded with them. Too bad I can't hunt here on our property...

Mike

Posts: 34 | Location: Galveston, Texas, USA | Registered: 23 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of CDH
posted Hide Post
Quote:

There are no limitations on means, methods, daily bag, season or shooting hours. The only restrictions would be landowner permission and a hunting license if using a firearm to take them...

... Too bad I can't hunt here on our property...

Mike

Any means and methods...wonder if they could be trapped/snared? If they are like pigeons, they could get tame enough that a quick guy with a fishing net could scoop several up at a time...spread some grain and step back!

Posts: 1780 | Location: South Texas, U. S. A. | Registered: 22 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Damn, only someone from near Yankee Land (see, I left off the damn and made it two words, I'm learning) would call a dillo an "opossum on the half shell". It is possum on the half shell and that is really insulting the dillo, since they eat a helluva lot better than possum. Try them barbecued......

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote