New
Find
Notify
Tools

Using a duck call properly
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have gone ducking a time or two this season and last sunday the guy left his call at home, and had to rely on my amatuer skills at calling in ducks. The first set of ducks that landed about 75 yards from our spread came in calling, and when the dekes didnt call back they promptly left. I attempted to immitate the sounds the ducks made when they approached, with little sucess.

Is there a site where someone shows what sounds to make, how to make them, and when to make them? I am going in the morning to a new place; a large pond with TONS of duck and hope to get some in the bag.
Wish me luck,

Eterry

Good luck and good shooting.
In Memory of Officer Nik Green, #198, Oklahoma Highway Patrol Troop G...Murdered in the line of duty 12-26-03...A Good Man, A Good Officer, and A Good Friend gone too soon

Posts: 839 | Location: Between Doan's Crossing and Red River Station | Registered: 22 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of thornell
posted Hide Post
The ducks unlimited site has some good calling tips.

www.ducks.org

Posts: 705 | Location: MIDDLE TENNESSEE | Registered: 25 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Tex21
posted Hide Post
Phil Robertson said it best: "call at their butts 'til you see the blue on their wings." In my experience, that's true. The only time I"ve ever really needed a duck call is try and turn them. And even then I use it sparingly. All you need the call for is to attract the ducks' attention to your decoy spread - that's all. I am unconvinced that you can "talk" a duck into landing in your decoys. I've had them respond to constant calling, but I've also had them cover me up when I was standing dead silent. Therefore, I would learn a good hailing call first. Then everything else.

Jason

"Chance favors the prepared mind."

Posts: 1449 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: 24 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the help guys, I checked the site out and found some helpfull info. I only have the one call, it is a Lohman (?) I got a long time ago and not real sure how to use it. I might look for a whistle based on the DU site info. I have been told by many to call to their butts and wings, but dont knnow what sounds I should try to make when I call so any info is helpful.
Eterry

Good luck and good shooting.
In Memory of Officer Nik Green, #198, Oklahoma Highway Patrol Troop G...Murdered in the line of duty 12-26-03...A Good Man, A Good Officer, and A Good Friend gone too soon

Posts: 839 | Location: Between Doan's Crossing and Red River Station | Registered: 22 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of thornell
posted Hide Post
Eterry, If you get on the DU site you can listen to the different calls. I use a simple greeting call with an occasional quack and feed chuckle thrown in. I have never used the hail call much, but some people swear by it for attracting far out birds. If you can try to find wild ducks on the water and listen to them.
If you are having difficulty with your call I would try an echo single reed call. They are cheap and easy to blow.

Posts: 705 | Location: MIDDLE TENNESSEE | Registered: 25 June 2005Reply With Quote