THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIRD SHOOTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Bird Shooting    Help with Duck ID, Sorry picture is of poor taste

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help with Duck ID, Sorry picture is of poor taste
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of bwanajcj
posted
Need help with duck ID, this picture was shot west of houston, it was accidentally taken in a flock teal, same averagebody size. I am assuming it is some sort of teal cross? any help thanks, sorry the picture is in poor tats, my friend took this photo and he thinks they are amusing they are the only pics i have.

LostHorizonsOutfitters.com
----------------------------
"You may all go to hell, and I will go to Texas"
Davy Crockett 1835

Posts: 696 | Location: Texas, where else! | Registered: 18 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't know what the duck is but the picture with a cig and beer is not a good thing. Ron

Posts: 985 | Location: Southern Idaho | Registered: 24 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanajcj
posted Hide Post
I did say it was in poor taste, sorry.

Davy Crockett 1835

Posts: 696 | Location: Texas, where else! | Registered: 18 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Agreed. Poor taste.

Posts: 526 | Location: Antelope, Oregon | Registered: 06 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
others can(and have) comment on the other aspects of your picture but I am interested in the duck. Is this the only picture??? I would love to see the rest of the wing spread out to see the speculum and tertiary feathers....obviously has some blue-wing in it, but not quite right.

-phil

Posts: 126 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 07 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
haha lol thats some funny stuff.

some people are over sensitive.

its a blue widgion

http://birdweb.org/birdweb/bird_details.aspx?id=66

i live in one of thwe largest waterfowl flyways in the world. if any one here wants to come here a kill some ducks your welcome to it.

Posts: 2095 | Location: B.C | Registered: 31 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanajcj
posted Hide Post
thanks for your responses,i have another picture i will post, sorry no pic of the wing spread out.

Davy Crockett 1835

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Did you guys shoot him or did he die from liver and lung disease? Razzer

Yeah, I know posting photos like that isn't the best of taste, just had to throw that in there.

I heal fast and don't scar.

Posts: 433 | Location: Monessen, PA | Registered: 23 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
700Nitro ain't just blowing smoke! Smiler If he say's it's a blue widgeon, then it's a blue widgeon. I hunted ducks for years in Ontario (Nipissing District) and was astonished at how expert the locals were in identifying even cross overs. ( The mallard drakes were pushing the black drakes out as I recall in the early 1990s and identifying some of these crosses was tricky)

Posts: 619 | Location: The Empire State | Registered: 14 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
700Nitro, is it a cross with something else? I have shot a lot of widgeon and they all looked like the one on the link, which does not show a blue variety.

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
Definitely has BWT characteristics, but hard to say for certain without testing.

And I agree, tasteless photo. Not to mention shockingly poor taste in beer as well!

KG

Hunting: I'd kill to participate.

Posts: 2897 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanajcj
posted Hide Post
I agree with KG, shockingly poor taste in beer. I however was not the purchaser, but merely the consumer, I felt i had no right to complain.

Davy Crockett 1835

one of us
posted Hide Post
yes its a cross with a black duck probably happend on ducks unlimted sancuarys....

iv killed about 20 some ougt ducks exactly like the one in the pic.

see how the bill has a iradesant bluish grey tinge....wich is common on the blue widgon plus slender diving body but it has the body colorings and facial colorings of a female black.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wrong on all counts, that is a rare cross of a blue wing and a trailer trash teal. They can be ID'd by the gap in the bill, blood shot eyes and the strange quack that sounds like a smokers cough followed by hhhhhkkk ptoo. Their natural habitat seems to center around tatoo parlors and strip bars and you can tell the females because of the black circles around their eyes and their strange flight meathod upside down with their legs straight up in the air.

Posts: 27 | Location: Southern Iowa | Registered: 30 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
700 nitro;

It's obvious that Rich S has the real info here! And here I thought that Ontario locals knew something about ducks! How come you guys up there never taught me about the real duck characteristics!) Smiler

Posts: 619 | Location: The Empire State | Registered: 14 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I live in Iowa if there's one thing I know its trailer trash. mgun

Posts: 27 | Location: Southern Iowa | Registered: 30 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
you said you wanted genetic's not how it grew up Razzer

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gerrys375:
700 nitro;

It's obvious that Rich S has the real info here! And here I thought that Ontario locals knew something about ducks! How come you guys up there never taught me about the real duck characteristics!) Smiler
It was the Bush Beer and Cigarette that tipped me off.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry for the late chime in, but does that not look like a hen Cinnamon Teal??

Never heard of a blue widgeon.

Also, that photo is not near as offensive as the baboon get ups you see occasionally.

Brian

Posts: 103 | Location: Northern California, USA | Registered: 17 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
no a cinny teal would have more wight around the beak and eye.... and a over all lighter head.

also notice the cinn teal has darker shaded feathers

posted Hide Post
really liked the picture verry unusual duck ive never been accused of being politically correct as far as im concerned if you have to try an make bleeding hearts happy i aint got much use for you

Posts: 23 | Location: Logan N.M. | Registered: 01 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
700, I've been duck hunting here in NorCal for 30 years or so, the duck with the heater and cold-one looks a LOT more like a hen cinny than the pic you sent, the one in your pic looks too dark compared to the many I've shot here...there are only (3) ducks commong to NA that have that powder blue speculum; the bluewing teal, cinnamon teal or Northern Shoveler. Other than being slightly more gray then tan, what it is about the trailer duck that makes everyone think it's not a hen bluewing???

Regards,
Craig Nolan

Best Regards,

Craig Nolan

Posts: 403 | Location: South of Alamo, Ca. | Registered: 30 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is likely a blue winged teal taken in the early Texas season in it's eclipse plummage. It could be a male or female depending on age. I assume the hunter took it during the early teal season.

There are very few cinnamon teal taken in the early Texas season.

My 2 cents worth.

PS - the picture is a bit tacky and reminds me of something high school kids do..

Posts: 10263 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanajcj
posted Hide Post
I took another duck about a week ago exactly like the one in the pic, took it to my taxidermist friend and he agrred with dogcat, bluewing teal coming out of eclipse plumage.

Davy Crockett 1835

posted Hide Post
Drunk Bluewing Teal.