New
Find
Notify
Tools

steel shot in good shotguns
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Is steel and/or it's equivalent harmful to be shot in a Winchester side by side? Chokes are full/full.

Perry

Posts: 2247 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 01 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
I'm assuming it's an old gun. If so, I'd not shoot anything but bismuth or hevi-shot through it until I could get a definitive answer. Said shot ain't cheap, but I'd hate to ruin a fine old double by shooting modern steel loads through it.

Hunting: I'd kill to participate.

Posts: 2897 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Kamo. Are bismuth and Hevi shot lethal??? I guess that question is relative but in years past I have always heard that steel is not nearly as lethal as lead. Where do these fall in comparison. I have not hunted ducks since lead was banned so I am kinda new to the game so to speak. My shotgun is a model 21, 20 gauge with 3" chambers. Thanks for any info you can give. Cost is not really a concern as my shooting will be limited to a dozen shots or so a day.

Perry

Posts: 2247 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 01 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Perry,

Bismuth is very close to lead in performance! Hevi-Shot Classic Doubles(HCD) is the ultimate in lethality! Make sure you get the classic doubles as it is a different formulation than regular Hevi-Shot. It has buffers in its composition along with a different wad and a load buffer. With HCD you WILL NOT NEED shot larger than 7.5 or 6 for ducks over decoys. I use #6 in a 16ga for pass shooting geese and over decoys it hammers the snot out of them. Midway has both. I prefer HS. Bismuth is softer if you are super concerned about your double.
Happy Hunting!!

Andy B

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member
TDR Cummins Power All The Way
Certified member of the Whompers Club

Posts: 2973 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by perry:
Thanks Kamo. Are bismuth and Hevi shot lethal??? Perry

Hiya Perry,

You will not be disappointed in the lethality of either I assure you. You must hit the birds with it, however. Smiler

When you've got a few down, post up some pics, will you?

Cheers,

KG

Hunting: I'd kill to participate.

Posts: 2897 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have been shooting bismuth and tungsten polymer in my M21 12 ga. for several years. Either will kill ducks and geese about as well as lead. I will never go back to steel.
C.G.B.