THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIRD SHOOTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Bird Shooting    Chronographing Shotshell Loads

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Chronographing Shotshell Loads
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hello
Just wondering if anyone has actually chonographed 12ga shotgun loads out of a 26",28" and 30" tube to see if there is any significant difference in velocity? Or is it well known that there is not any significant difference.. Especially heavy hunting loads.

I'm in the market for a new gun, probably an 870, and I'm noticing a choice between 26" and 28" barrel length. Would I be at a serious disadvantage with a 26" barrel?
Thanks.

Why do they call it common sense, when it is so uncommon??

Posts: 277 | Location: Grants Pass, OR | Registered: 10 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Murf
posted Hide Post
I have never chronied shotshells but have often read and heard the max velocity is reached with the first 26 inches. Shot shell powder is very fast burning so it makes sense.

An advantage of 30 in tubes is a more determined swing for water fowl. But they are a bit slower for most shooters on upland.

28 would sound like a compromise . With 28 inch tubes in a pump ypu still have a fairly long gun because of the action length.

See if you can borrow a friends gun for a few rounds of trap and skeet and decide then. Also if you find you want to change on an 870 you should be able to get another barrel very easOr check with the dealer and get 2 barrels to begin with.

Posts: 14361 | Location: Sask. Canada | Registered: 04 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Murf.. I have been hearing the same thing as well recently..and thats fine for me.
I have shot 28" guns and they shoot very well for me so that's what I'll get.

Why do they call it common sense, when it is so uncommon??

Posts: 277 | Location: Grants Pass, OR | Registered: 10 October 2004Reply With Quote