New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone like Brittany's?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Took this in 2013 and just recently figured out hot to crop it. Really like this one. It was in a series of I think it was four shot's, only shot I liked!

Posts: 526 | Location: Antelope, Oregon | Registered: 06 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I love Brittanys! My first bird dog was an orange and white American Brittany. Probably the smartest on pheasants I have seen. If he had a runner and he couldn't pin it, he would break wide, run past the bird and push it back toward me.

NRA benefactor life member
SCI life member
DSC life member

Posts: 242 | Location: Springfield, MO | Registered: 09 September 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Charlie64
posted Hide Post

Great picture and great looking dogs !

"Up the ladders and down the snakes!"

Posts: 2327 | Location: South Africa & Europe | Registered: 10 February 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Sure makes me miss mine -- Molly and Watson.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16653 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
I have a ten year old male at home... spoiled rotten, overweight and out of shape now but the family absolutely loves old Riley Ray!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of subsailor74
posted Hide Post
I own a female French Brittany who turned a year old 2 days ago. She is 30 pounds of pure dynamite.

A Naval career is not conducive to owning / properly training a bird dog, so my wife told me I could not get a dog until I fully retired - I cashed in that chip a day after my retirement in January 2017. I have never trained a dog before, and I am glad that I now have all the time in the world to spend with her. I honestly do not know how a working person can make the time to do this right. In any case, my dog Brie has turned into my best friend in the world. At 8 months old, I had her in the grouse woods of northern Wisconsin where she pointed and retrieved woodcock like the veteran dogs she was with, and she retrieved grouse with gusto. I can't say she pointed / held grouse yet - she got on them, but she always got too close for their comfort. Maybe this year. Back home in Virginia, I have shot over 100 birds over her including quail, chukar and pheasants at local preserves. She works the fields like the energizer bunny and seems to have unlimited endurance. I had her out on her birthday for a preserve hunt with 2 friends and 4 English setters. Even in that group, she made easily half the points and 90% of the retrieves on the 23 quail, 6 chukar and 1 pheasant we bagged. She even made 2 water retrieves, which, having never been in water before, were especially significant to me. She has not figured out how to honor a point yet, but maybe that will come with time....or maybe it is the French not trusting the English?

Anyway, I love my French Brittany and look forward to hunting for many years with her. We are going to have a go at wild pheasants in South Dakota this Fall - that should be a real adventure.

Posts: 1594 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 29 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I love 'em...! I've had them for almost 48 yrs. now, both American & French variety. I have three right now. The oldest is retired at 14, while the middle one is now six yrs. and the youngster will be two this April.
Some years back, I had my 'once in a lifetime bird dog'. He did it all with little training on my part. Unfortunately, he passed away at 9 yrs. of age...
They have always been buddies to me.
Brittman

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Wow, nice to see a couple of you have had the French Brits. There is a breeder in Phoenix that raises them. I have been tempted, as they are reportedly more human-oriented and hunt a bit closer than the Americans.

– John Green, author

Posts: 16653 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Charlie64
posted Hide Post
quote:
I own a female French Brittany who turned a year old 2 days ago. She is 30 pounds of pure dynamite.

A Naval career is not conducive to owning / properly training a bird dog, so my wife told me I could not get a dog until I fully retired - I cashed in that chip a day after my retirement in January 2017. I have never trained a dog before, and I am glad that I now have all the time in the world to spend with her. I honestly do not know how a working person can make the time to do this right. In any case, my dog Brie has turned into my best friend in the world. At 8 months old, I had her in the grouse woods of northern Wisconsin where she pointed and retrieved woodcock like the veteran dogs she was with, and she retrieved grouse with gusto. I can't say she pointed / held grouse yet - she got on them, but she always got too close for their comfort. Maybe this year. Back home in Virginia, I have shot over 100 birds over her including quail, chukar and pheasants at local preserves. She works the fields like the energizer bunny and seems to have unlimited endurance. I had her out on her birthday for a preserve hunt with 2 friends and 4 English setters. Even in that group, she made easily half the points and 90% of the retrieves on the 23 quail, 6 chukar and 1 pheasant we bagged. She even made 2 water retrieves, which, having never been in water before, were especially significant to me. She has not figured out how to honor a point yet, but maybe that will come with time....or maybe it is the French not trusting the English?

Anyway, I love my French Brittany and look forward to hunting for many years with her. We are going to have a go at wild pheasants in South Dakota this Fall - that should be a real adventure.

What a great post ! Any pictures to share?

Bird / hunting dogs are the best !

Posts: 2327 | Location: South Africa & Europe | Registered: 10 February 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dukxdog
posted Hide Post
Here are my two French Brits. Shredder and Taz. Cool hunting dogs.

Posts: 865 | Location: Idaho/Wyoming/South Dakota | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Much prefer Bobby,s French Brittany,s to any regular Brittany I have hunted with. And that,s all we had growing up.

kk alaska

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Thank you Dukx!

– John Green, author

One of Us
Picture of subsailor74
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Charlie64:
quote:

What a great post ! Any pictures to share?

Bird / hunting dogs are the best !

I have plenty of photos to share, but ever since photobucket stopped free service for posting photos, I do not know how to post them. So, if somebody could show me how to post photos, I will gladly do so. I can also e-mail them to anyone interested.

Posts: 1594 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 29 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice looking French Brittany's, plus the scenery, too!
Brittman

One of Us
Picture of Charlie64
posted Hide Post

Posting pictures for Subsailor74 -

Imgbb sizing is a disaster. Sorry.

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Beautiful dog!

– John Green, author

one of us
posted Hide Post
My old Brit was a French Brittany and a bird hunting machine. My current Brit was a rescue dog and while she is the sweetest dog we've ever owned her bird hunting skill is not well developed. She loved to do it but isn't the bird dog the old one was.

My old Brit Mandy

Her last hunt with some planted chukars. She was getting too old to really go anymore but I wanted to give her one more hunt before she left us.

Our current Brittany, Willow with a couple of Huns.

"...I advise the gun. While this gives a moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprize, and independance to the mind. Games played with the ball and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks." Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 993 | Location: Wasilla, AK | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote