THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIRD SHOOTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Bird Shooting    Question - what feather game may be hunted with rifle?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question - what feather game may be hunted with rifle?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
In USA and Canada?

Posts: 2356 | Location: Moscow | Registered: 07 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
Just a partial answer. I know that in some places Forest Grouse (Ruffed Grouse, Blue Grouse, Spruce Grouse) and Ptarmigan can be hunted with rifles.

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would also be keen to hear as 99% of the birds I shoot are with a shotgun and the rest with an air rifle or 22 rimfire. (doves, pigeons and crows with the last two)

Posts: 885 | Location: Eastern Cape, South Africa | Registered: 08 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Evan K.
posted Hide Post
In Minnesota it is legal to take pheasants and Hungarian partridge with a .22 rimfire (per the DNR regulations book).

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Posts: 776 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 05 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In Wisconsin DNR:

It is legal to hunt unprotected species (page 10), furbearing animals (page 14), and small
game mammals (page 16) with a rifle except that it is illegal to:
• hunt any game bird (page 11), migratory game bird (page 13), or wild turkey (page 17)
with a rifle

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Some places allow turkey to be hunted with rifles.

Posts: 481 | Location: Midwest USA | Registered: 14 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Montana allows turkeys to be hunted in the fall with a rifle or handgun. Forest grouse, blues and spruce and ruffled, can be taken with a rifle or handgun. These can also be shot with bow or shotgun. I've taken several turkeys with a rifle, 222 worked best, and for years I hunted blue grouse only with a 22 caliber revolver.

Posts: 763 | Location: Montana | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you. Yes, according to Montana DNR:
"Blue, Ruffed and Franklin’s Grouse may be taken with a shotgun not larger than a ten gauge; a long, recurve or compound bow and arrow; a rifle; or a handgun. ..
Sharp-tailed Grouse, Sage Grouse Hungarian and Chukar Partridge Pheasants may be taken with a shotgun not larger than a ten gauge; a long recurve or compound bow and arrow. All other means of taking are prohibited...

Wild turkey may be taken with a shotgun not larger than a ten gauge; a long recurve or compound bow and arrow; a rifle; or a handgun. All other means of taking are prohibited.
Exception: In Flathead, Lake, missoula, Ravalli, Sanders and
Lincoln Counties rifles and handguns may not be used".

One of Us
posted Hide Post
In Texas, quail may be shot with rifles, as they are not migratory. Most use a .22 LR...

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
Here we use 22s to control parakeets ,doves ,pidgeons ,eagles etc .

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6382 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Turkeys and quail are legal in Texas.

Posts: 42345 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I took my dangerous charging turkey in Texas with one 260gr Accubond from my 375H&H. Bang-flop! Imagine that! Very little actual damage. My taxidermist was amazed.

During one season-and I can't remember which, fall or spring-it is legal to use rimfire in Texas.

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member
TDR Cummins Power All The Way
Certified member of the Whompers Club

Posts: 2973 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by juanpozzi:
Here we use 22s to control parakeets ,doves ,pidgeons ,eagles etc .

Now that's my kind of hunt. I much prefer shooting a rifle than a shotgun. A Winchester Gallery pump 22 shorts only would be even better!

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member
TDR Cummins Power All The Way
Certified member of the Whompers Club

Posts: 2973 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
Just came and i promise hundreds of shots a day Wink

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6382 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote