THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIRD SHOOTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Bird Shooting    Port O'Connor TX questions.....

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Port O'Connor TX questions.....
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
.....anybody familiar with the area and guides? Going in January for a combo puddler hunt in Baytown and bay ducks in POC. Thanks.

Posts: 2717 | Location: NH | Registered: 03 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Try Chad Peterek at: http://www.captchadpeterek.com/fishing.html

Hunted with Chad a few times with success. You can use my name as a reference... Russell Marshall.

Redheads and pintails are pretty easy... widgeons and gadwalls getting pretty smart that late.

Haven't hunted with him but heard good things...
http://www.pinfeatherguideservice.com/

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Russell.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used to duck hunt a hundred miles south of there around Port Mansfield. There should still be a lot of birds in the area in January. I would expect you to do well. As previously stated though, some of the birds are starting to get a little bit shy by then.

velocity is like a new car, always losing value.
BC is like diamonds, holding value forever.

Posts: 1650 | Location: , texas | Registered: 01 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Got ahold of Kieth at Pinfeather....looks like he's gonna be our man. I'll letcha know how it goes. Thanks for the contact.

one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
tu2

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

- Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A good friend of mine runs a private lodge down there, but he knows everyone, what do you want to know

Posts: 589 | Location: Austin TX, Mexico City | Registered: 17 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Patricio Gaudiano:
A good friend of mine runs a private lodge down there, but he knows everyone, what do you want to know

Do you have his contact info?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Norton:
quote:
Originally posted by Patricio Gaudiano:

Do you have his contact info?

To clarify, he is not a comercial operator, he runs a lodge for a family (private) but knows everyone down there, PM me if you need to ask him anything about an operator , or PM me any questions and I will ask him.

Posts: 589 | Location: Austin TX, Mexico City | Registered: 17 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What is it with guides that don't return phone calls or emails? 2 of the 3 POC guides I called didn't even give the courtesy of a response. These guys must be flush enough with cash that they don't give a crap. I'd be outta business in 6 months if I operated like that.

One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
check with will granberry in edna, tx... he operates avian skies, he's got lots of waterfowl huints going on... I hunted sandhill cranes with him in January 2014, plan to do it again next yr... great guy to deal with!! www.avianskies.com

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2842 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimatcat:
check with will granberry in edna, tx... he operates avian skies, he's got lots of waterfowl huints going on... I hunted sandhill cranes with him in January 2014, plan to do it again next yr... great guy to deal with!! www.avianskies.com

+1000 I have hunted with Will several times. Sandhills, geese, and doves. Absolutely 1st class operation!

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member
TDR Cummins Power All The Way
Certified member of the Whompers Club

Posts: 2973 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just got back. Had a great time in both places we hunted.....Liberty and POC. Plenty of teal and pintail, a smattering of gadwall, spoonies, bluebill, wigeon inland....tons of redheads and a few pintail but not much else in POC.

Had two outstanding meals....both in El Campo, at Los Cucos and at Mikeska's on the ride back to Hobby.

Bwanamrm.....Keith at Pinfeather took good care of us....nice guy and there were just enough birds to keep us happy. Thanks for pointing us in his direction.

one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Glad it worked out for you Norton. With all of the rain we have had this year, hunting the salt marshes and bays were a bit tougher this year. Lots of freshwater ponds and the birds were spread out. My toughest year in the last few; however, it does appear our drought has eased and that is a good thing!

- Rudyard Kipling

One of Us
posted Hide Post
bwanamrm......your report echoes exactly what they said in terms of the excessive rainfall dispersing the birds. Good thing the guide in Liberty had a backup plan with a second guide who had access to a massive private area. He had intended for us to hunt in flooded timber but we ended up in some expansive marshy grazing area.

I think next time I might come down earlier in the season although I can't argue with our success this time!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Couple pics of the haul (and yes that's bling on the sprig Big Grin ):

one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Nice! Love the plumage on late season redheads!

- Rudyard Kipling

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Love those red heads

Posts: 12103 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote