THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIRD SHOOTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Bird Shooting    The North American Upland Bird Safari

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The North American Upland Bird Safari
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Skinner.
posted
Let's say a guy wanted to take a couple months and cruise North America hunting upland game birds. Where would you go and for what ?

Kind of like the Amazing Race for you and your bird dog, taking all the indigenous quail and grouse species in multiple states and a Canadian province or two.

Throw in the introduced species like chukars, Hungarians, pheasant and even Himalayan snowcock in the Ruby Mtns. in NV (probably the toughest of all).

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Skinner, there is a good book that was written just on that subject. It is "A Hunter's Road" by Jim Fergus. He started in September hunting in Colorado, Wyoming, Idaho and Montana. He then proceeded across the northern states hunting as he went to New England. Then down the coast and then across the south to Texas, then northward home arriving in February. He had a pickup and camper and his lab for company. It is a good read.

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ruffed Grouse in Maine and the Great Lakes states (Wisconsin, Michigan, etc)....almost anywhere in the South but probably South Carolina and Georgia for Bob-White Quail, Texas for Doves and more Quail, up thru the Great Plains for more Quail in Kansas where I would start Pheasant hunting and go up thru Nebraska, Iowa, South Dakota and North Dakota. North Dakota also for Huns and then down to Arizona for the other variety of Quail.....the hell with chukar's as they are the bird-from-hell as far as I'm concerned. shame

Woops! Almost forgot Woodcock....catch the right weather and hunt the southern tip of New Jersey around Cape May.

DB Bill aka Bill George

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
Heck, I tried (not too hard) one year to shoot all upland birds in Idaho, and didn't get the spruce grouse, turkey, nor California or bob-white quail. Got ONE dove though..... Wink

Sounds like a worth while plan, but it would have to include at least a couple of the Ptarmigan, as well as the desert quail for me. FWIW, Dutch.

Life's too short to hunt with an ugly dog.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
Picture of Jason Pitzer
posted Hide Post
I would love to take a snowcock they are very nice looking imo.

I believe strongly, that the flesh of the living animal is something very sacred. If you cannot bear freezing int he mud and wind of winter whilst you find them, if you cannot kill them yourself....and if you cannot stomach the stench and feel of guts and blood......
You have not the right to eat meat.

one of us
posted Hide Post
This is all very cool. I have decided in the next few years when I finally retire to do something quite similar. And that is follow (and hunt) the wild geese on their entire migration. Start up in the High Arctic and go the entire way until they stop where it is warm in January. A person could plan it so that they can hunt a lot of other game on the journey - moose in Alberta, maybe wild turkeys, swan, antelope in Montana .. or whatever. Might even be able to hook up with some AR folks on the way and share a T Bone and a cold one. Park near lakes at night in the ol' camper (not purchased yet) and go to sleep listening to the migrating geese and the wind and rain ... Should be a hell of an experience. I wouldn't bet against me. wave

Posts: 1544 | Location: Alberta/Namibia | Registered: 29 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Geraldton, Ontario probably has some of the best ruffed and spruce grouse numbers around. However, it was on the downward swing the last couple of years (5 years ago was phenomenal!!!).

I was there 2 weeks ago moose hunting, and saw more birds than I've seen the last 3 years combined, just while sitting on my moose stand. So, I'd say things are back on the upswing and next year and the year after should be pretty good.

I was talking to a Ministry of Natural Resources biologist before I went up, and he said the birds had a good spring, so he expected the numbers to be better.

Posts: 2921 | Location: Canada | Registered: 07 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
Bill you forgot our 3 species of western native mountain grouse, ptarmigan, and our 3 species of native prairie grouse and sage grouse.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Skinner.
posted Hide Post
quote:
This is all very cool

Exactly, and the cost for such an adventure wouldn't be too bad. Hell of a lot less than a big game hunt.

I was thinking a sweep of the Western states would be a good start.

Idaho for Spruce, Ruffed, Blue, Sharptail and Sage grouse, chukars and Hungarians.

California for CA, Gambels and Mountain Quail, Coastal Blue Grouse, White-tailed Ptarmigan (introduced), Band-tailed Pigeons, pheasant and crows.

Nevada for more chukars and Himalayan Snowcock.

Arizona for Scaled, Gambels and Montezuma Quail, Mourning and White-winged Doves.

And while in AZ try to get the grand slam of AZ's tree squirrels, 4 species, 8 subspecies thumb

What better way could a guy and his dogs spend a couple months. Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of 375 AI
posted Hide Post
What a great thread. It really is about the pleasure of being outdoors and working with a good dog.

I like the idea of following the geese along their migration and doing some moose, bear and deer on the side. Of course quail on a plantation in Georgia is a must. Have always wanted to do that one.

Eventually work my way down towards the border and then back up to do the western plains... beer

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Skinner:

Forget these other guys and what they tell you! Smiler It's NY and Vermont and Wisconsin for ruffed grouse. It's South Dakota for ringnecks -(the real kind that grew up and lived through winter after winter and who have no intention of jumping up like quail in front of you) Huns and Chukars I always thought were a promotion of the game preserves. Any bird that flies off like a starling doesn't qualify as a game bird to me! Smiler OK, guys, I'm just picking a fight! Smiler

Posts: 800 | Location: NY | Registered: 01 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Skinner.
posted Hide Post
quote:
It's NY and Vermont and Wisconsin for ruffed grouse.

I can shoot ruffed grouse here in CA (and I have, this past season as a matter of fact)and OR, ID, WA and MT have em' too. Along with many other upland game birds.

I've thought about the East and Midwest but the best (and most) bangs for the buck are here in the West.

But now I think ptarmigan are a neccesity too, we do have an introduced population in CA and I just might go looking next season.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Idaho has a several differant species. Pheasant, Huns, Chukar, Valley Quail, Sage grouse, Sharptail, Blue grouse, Ruffed grouse, Spruce grouse. We do have a very small population of Bob Whites but not on public land for the most part. I wrote a story that was published in Spaniels in the Field. It was a story about hunting all the bird species in Idaho in one year over one dog. My Springer spaniel Buzz was the star of the story. I actually tried it every year for 4 years. I got all the birds every year except a Spruce grouse. They are very hard to find in Southern Idaho. I should have went to Northern Idaho.
The story was in the winter of 1999 Spaniels in the Field. Along with trying to get every species I also got a trophy muledeer and a 6 point elk that year. I was not home much that year. Ron

Posts: 987 | Location: Southern Idaho | Registered: 24 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ron, they also have ptarmigan in Idaho but they are not legal to hunt as yet. I even saw some in the Middle Fork of the Salmon. They had been planted there as well as up in the panhandle but it was thought that they did not survive in the Frank. I saw about 10 or 12 in semi white foliage one November.

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
They are supposed to be in the Sawtooth's as well.

I've had this idea of dropping off a couple dozen snow-cocks along some of the peaks in that part of the world, as well. If they can survive in Ruby Valley, they should do well over there, too.

We need to get another challenging bird to hunt for these leggy young whipper-snappers, so they leave the Chukars alone for us more rounded gentry..... Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Dutch I think you are leading these guys to believe you are a older, short, and portly fellow, but I know different. I think you still have a snow cock hunt in you. Ron

Posts: 987 | Location: Southern Idaho | Registered: 24 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
maybe not so glamorous as grouse, but upland starts in So. Tex. in triple didget temps watching thousands of white-wing doves dodging amongst the live-oaks. Kurt.

Posts: 205 | Location: Hondo Tx | Registered: 22 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Ron:
Hey Dutch I think you are leading these guys to believe you are a older, short, and portly fellow, but I know different. I think you still have a snow cock hunt in you. Ron

Maybe even two! The big 4-0 has caught up with me though, and those darn hills ARE starting to get a little steeper and taller. By the time those snow cocks are established and my name gets drawn, it might well be too late!

BTW, if the nutritionist ever gets around to making me a new formula, looks like you guys may be making some more feed for me..... Dutch.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You can also stop off in West texas for pheasants, bobwhites, and blue quail. I think there are also a few places in the panhandle you can still hunt pairie chickens.

Posts: 36 | Location: lubbock,texas | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote