Notify
Tools

Chilean hunt update
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Fallow Buck
posted
Hi all,

I just wanted to put an update on what happened to the Chilean leg of our trip, as I have had a lot of people ask about this and express an interest in participating next year.

As I have mentioned elsewhere we cancelled at the last minute due to paperwork issues with the firearm importation. Firearms belonged to the outfitter as we did not want to risk client guns at this stage.

The Chilean authorities did not previously state that we needed seven days to process firearms permits. Coupled with Easter holidays, we felt we may not get the guns cleared in time to make a trip to Patagonia viable, while giving us enough time to do a full exploratory of the available hunting.

However the guide made it to Patagonia where he was scouting. He saw huge numbers of geese, hares and ducks and has managed to send all the other equipment down there.

He returned to the USA and managed to take the guns back with him, so we are in a good position to retry the trip.

All participants were made whole, and are keen to retry a hunt in this region once the guns are in situ.

Over all it was a great disappointment for me and the team, but such is life when trying new things. It justifies the process we employ at Athina, of scouting new locations in this manner and sadly it doesn't always go to plan, but it is always an adventure.

The guys we take on these things know they have to roll with it and I value their feedback and spirit.

We managed to reschedule a few days hunting in Argentina and head back home a few days earlier than expected.

Now it is time to start planning the next sortie to South America. We will be going back for doves, dorado, and a management stag and black buck hunt in Argentina, and hope to retry Chile, so I expect a lengthy trip next year.

K

Posts: 4096 | Location: London | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Heads up K.....your website isn't working.

Posts: 2717 | Location: NH | Registered: 03 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fallow Buck
posted Hide Post
Thanks mate,

It seems to be ok from my machines. What browser are you using?

K

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Seems fine now here as well from my office. I use Chrome here and at home though.

Beautiful site btw.

I've planted the idea with my buds for a Scotland hunt with you for grouse.....hopefully 2015.

Posts: 2717 | Location: NH | Registered: 03 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fallow Buck
posted Hide Post
Cool, sounds like fun!!

Let me know if you need any info.

K

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I do an annual wing shooting trip to URuguay/Argentina for doves ,perdiz, duck etc.( ten or 11 trips so far)

For the last 4 years we have transfered through Chile, and it has been a nightmare!!!

Last June our guns were taken off the plane and we ended up staying overnight trying to sought out the mess!

They did the same on our return leg, even worse , held the guns and it took us 6 weeks of diplomatic wrangling to get them sent home!!

We now will not travel through CHile period.
They are not gun friendly at all, and the airport police do whatever they want.
Had we not taken it up with the Consulate in NZ I doubt The guns would ever have got back.

Good luck with CHile, I'll stick to the more welcoming countries like ARgentina, URuguay etc.
Cheers

Nick

Posts: 665 | Location: EU | Registered: 05 September 2010Reply With Quote