New
Find
Notify
Tools

Non Lead Dove Loads?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm looking at doing some dove hunting in an area this year that requires USFWS approved non-lead shot.
Any recommendations on loads? What size steel shot should I consider #6? #7?
Thanks for the help
Ken

Posts: 190 | Location: Mountains of Virginia | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Skinner.
posted Hide Post
I've used Remingtons cheap steel loads, like $6 a box, on doves and quail and they'll kill em', but my shots were 25 yds and under. The 7's patterned better out of my Beretta for what little patterning I did.

It may come to pass that my areas are all designated lead free so I'm gonna play with some steel handloads for upland birds this year.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm from Louisiana, and for those dove hunters who shoot from sandbars on the rivers, steel shot is not mandatory, but rather at the discretion of the individual wildlife enforcement agents who check your license, gun, and other things. We ARE mandated to use #7 1/2 shot and smaller.

For those who hunt the fields lead shot is still allowed. Though, since doves are considered/classified as 'migratory game birds' I wouldn't be surprised if steel shot was not mandated in the near future.

John

Posts: 64 | Location: Shreveport, LA | Registered: 06 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snipe Hunter
posted Hide Post
If I had to shoot steel for dove I would go with #7 over #6. Fortunately I do not. For myself and others that hunt with something smaller than a twenty gauge steel is not an option.

SH

------------------------------------
I admit there are advantages in game of every type;
But I've never heard of beast or bird to excel the twisting snipe.
Nicholas Kane, Louisiana, 1880

Got Snipe?

Posts: 83 | Location: Out in some godforsaken marsh | Registered: 21 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
All my shotguns but one are OLD! And will not do the steel shot thing without damaging the bore, or at least that's what I've been told. Only one shotgun has the chrome bore for steel shot, and that is my Baikal 12 gauge O/U. Sure hope they don't make me go to steel shot in everything.

John

Posts: 64 | Location: Shreveport, LA | Registered: 06 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Skinner.
posted Hide Post
Go with bismuth for the smaller gauges, it's soft and won't harm the barrel.

Matter of fact I'm gonna try handloading it for my 20 and 28 gauges for upland birds and snipe.

One of Us
Picture of Snipe Hunter
posted Hide Post
No bismuth for me. I'm happy with lead.

SH

------------------------------------
I admit there are advantages in game of every type;
But I've never heard of beast or bird to excel the twisting snipe.
Nicholas Kane, Louisiana, 1880

Got Snipe?

Posts: 83 | Location: Out in some godforsaken marsh | Registered: 21 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of johnch
posted Hide Post
This is my Steel target / dove/ quail load .
Coppyed from Alliant reloading manual

In a Federal Goldmedal Hull
7/8 oz Steelshot , 1,700fps , Fed. 209A primer , 42 gr Steel powder , Reloading Specialties "SAM 1" 12 ga 2 3/4" wad 7,800 PSI

I load #7 steel for doves , quail and clay targets
#4 for pheasants

Johnch

NRA life
Delta
Pheasants Forever
DU
Hunt as if your life depended on your results

Posts: 591 | Location: NW ,Ohio 10 Min from Ottawa NWR | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Skinner.
posted Hide Post
John, are you using the Federal Gold Medal hull for that load ?

And have you ever tried 6's or 5's for teal with that ?

One of Us
Picture of johnch
posted Hide Post
Sorry I did forget the hull

Yes I do use GM hulls .

No I use #4 for teal also
Don't keep #5 or #6 steel around , when #4 patterens so well for me .

Johnch

NRA life
Delta
Pheasants Forever
DU
Hunt as if your life depended on your results

Posts: 591 | Location: NW ,Ohio 10 Min from Ottawa NWR | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Skinner.
posted Hide Post
Thanks, I've got a couple thousand of em' Big Grin

As I said earlier, it may well be that part of, if not all, of CA goes lead free for ALL hunting ammo due to endangered species issues.

So I'm going to play with steel for upland a lot this year. Illegitimi Non Carborundum !!

I wish someone sold that tungsten iron shot Federal loads because it works very well on waterfowl.

And I'm damn interested in Remingtons new non toxic shot, Wingmaster HD , though of course they'll never sell us bags of shot. Mad