THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIRD SHOOTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Bird Shooting    California Valley Quail feedin video

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

California Valley Quail feedin video
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I first saw these California Valley Quail as they crossed the road in the foothills of Claremont CA. Mom and dad were easy to see but the little fuzzballs looked like Morse Code dots, scrawling across the pavement like on a ticker tape.

"Wow, they're just lil guys" I thought to myself. Maybe a late 2nd hatch.

The covey was too fast for me to catch in the road with my Canon GL-2 camcorder so I parked and waited to see if they would come back out of the Catclaw bushes where they had disappeared.

Since it was feeding and scratchin time it wasn't long before they popped back out for some tasty seeds and bugs.

Man are them lil goobers fast with such short legs. I tried to count the chicks and got maybe 12 to 14. See how many feathered pinballs you get. I figure Mr. Hawk and Mr. Bobcat have already glommed a quail cheeseburger or two so this hatch was close to 16 maybe? Not much to chew on though, more like popcorn shrimp for a large predator or raptor.

Quail video

Posts: 424 | Location: Kali-fornya via Missouri | Registered: 23 June 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Skinner.
posted Hide Post
I've been scouting quite a bit over the last few weeks and it's been a very good hatch for both valley quail and mountain quail.

Lot's of little fuzzballs Big Grin

It should be a very good season. dancing