New
Find
Notify
Tools

New here also...
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm new to this forum also, and hopefully haven't violated forum etiquette by jumping in with my opinions without first properly introducing myself.

I live in Louisiana, NW corner, and love to wing shoot. Born in Oklahoma, grew up on quail, ducks, geese, doves, and the occasional barn pigeon. As bondhu said about the wind, it blows from the south at 25 mph 300 days of the year. The rest of the year it is from the north at the same speed.

Now I primarily hunt doves, pheasants, the occasional quail, and of course, ducks.

Looking forward to learning as much as I can from the rest of you guys (and gals) and maybe contributing a bit from time to time.

John

Posts: 64 | Location: Shreveport, LA | Registered: 06 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
John, welcome to AR. I suspect that we can learn just as much or more from you.

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Redlander
posted Hide Post
Where do you hunt quail? Locally here in NE Texas they are getting to be scarce as hen's teeth.

If you are going to carry a big stick, you've got to whack someone with it at least every once in while.

Posts: 842 | Location: Anchorage, AK | Registered: 23 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Skinner.
posted Hide Post
quote:
here in NE Texas they are getting to be scarce as hen's teeth.

I've wondered about TX upland opportunities, we really don't hear much about it.

Throw all the rocks you want at CA but we do have some fine upland game hunting and much of it on public lands for native birds.

This past season was phenomenal, huge numbers of both California quail and mountain quail. Had several good days on blue and ruffed grouse too.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I appreciate the warm welcome, guys.

Redlander...quail are fairly scarce around here, but several plantation owners are starting to work with Wildlife and Fisheries folks to re-establish some habitat for them. They are all members of Quail Unlimited and are putting there money where their mouth is. I get invited on the occasional hunt, and it gives me the opportunity to use my antiquated Remington Mod. 11-48 in 410. I think my presence is to provide comic relief! Big Grin

John

Posts: 64 | Location: Shreveport, LA | Registered: 06 May 2006Reply With Quote