THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIRD SHOOTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Bird Shooting    Bobwhites anywhere???????????????

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bobwhites anywhere???????????????
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted
Are there enough bobwhites left anywhere to make it worth while to haul a birdog to???

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37878 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The river bottoms of eastern Colorado have a lot of them. Quite a bit of public ground on the South Platte River in the northeast part of the state. Use the town of Sterling as a base of operations and you can go 30 plus miles east and west and hit public land all along it.

An especially good tract is Tamarack Ranch which covers over 10,000 acres. Lots of pheasants, rabbits, fox squirrels and ducks there as well. It gets crowded on the weekends but if you went on a Weds you'll pretty much have it to yourself.

Posts: 2940 | Location: Colorado by birth, Navy by choice. | Registered: 26 September 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Lane,
Pretty sparse in south Texas this year with the lack of rain and ground cover. I was in conversations on Tuesday with some ranchers who have larger properties down here and they are only putting up 4 or 5 coveys a day. Most aren't hunting their wild birds but supplementing with PR birds...

I was on the La Mota ranch in west Texas last week southwest of Marfa and the blues were in short supply as well. Only saw 4 coveys in four days. Mule deer were abundant but were 15 to 20 inches short of a "normal" year.

About as tough a year as I have seen in awhile on our quail crop.

Heck, I had to go to Illinois to find birds to shoot... even our usual "pheasant fix" in southwest Kansas waved us off because of dry conditions this year!
Cheers,
Russell

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very few birds here in north central Oklahoma.

Posts: 362 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 25 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bwanamrm:
Lane,
Pretty sparse in south Texas this year with the lack of rain and ground cover. I was in conversations on Tuesday with some ranchers who have larger properties down here and they are only putting up 4 or 5 coveys a day. Most aren't hunting their wild birds but supplementing with PR birds...

I was on the La Mota ranch in west Texas last week southwest of Marfa and the blues were in short supply as well. Only saw 4 coveys in four days. Mule deer were abundant but were 15 to 20 inches short of a "normal" year.

About as tough a year as I have seen in awhile on our quail crop.

Heck, I had to go to Illinois to find birds to shoot... even our usual "pheasant fix" in southwest Kansas waved us off because of dry conditions this year!
Cheers,
Russell

I think the bobwhite quail is going to be extinct in 20 years and I don't think anyone knows why.

Ask Dee about his pheasant hunt in South Dakota if you see him.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37878 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Oday450
posted Hide Post
Folks around the family ranch in Bosque County, TX blame the disappearance on fire ants. The quail disappeared just as the fire ants became a big problem.

"Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult."

Posts: 1313 | Location: The People's Republic of Maryland, USA | Registered: 05 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Many "experts" discount the role imported fireants have played on quail decline, but the ants have helped with the decline.

More people managing their land for deer alo has played a role, as have changes in agricultural practices. Feral hogs and feral housecats have also had an added effect.

Biologists across the south in what was prime quail habita thave been forecasting the extinction of wild bobwhites as a huntable species for about 20 years + or - .

In my opinion, the bigget aspect of the whole situation, is that because the emphasis in southern hunting epecially shifted from quail to deer, the decline in quail numbers was not really given any concern until the numbers had dropped severly.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
I was at the Welder Wildlife Foundation Christmas lunch on Wednesday and talking with a professor from the Caesar Kleberg Wildlife Department about our loss of quail. Much of the blame is placed at habitat loss but also the loss of the fur trade. No one is buying fur anymore and trappers were doing a great job of keeping raccoons, possums and skunks in check. Skunks in south Texas are the number 1 predator of eggs and hatchlings. You may shoot all you want down here and we do. Just don't pick them up unless you have a fur bearers license. Not that anyone would!!!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote