New
Find
Notify
Tools

How To Hit A Pheasant
 Login/Join

one of us
posted

Photos of my son shooting his 1st pheasant at 12 years of age. He had been shooting clay targets for about 3 or 4 months and my instructions for live birds were point at the bird....swing thru the head...and shoot when the muzzle gets in front...and, of course, keep the muzzles moving. He was shooting a 20ga O/U choked IC/Mod shooting 1oz of #6 shot.

DB Bill aka Bill George

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Russell E. Taylor
posted Hide Post
Great shooting!

Who's the guy diving for cover?

Russ

The doing of unpleasant deeds calls for people of an unpleasant nature.

Posts: 2982 | Location: Silvis, IL | Registered: 12 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Terrific series of photographs and a wonderful memory for you and your son!

"I speak of Africa and golden joys; the joy of wandering through lonely lands; the joy of hunting the mighty and terrible lords of the wilderness, the cunning, the wary and the grim."
Theodore Roosevelt, Khartoum, March 15, 1910

Posts: 250 | Location: Central Massachusetts | Registered: 02 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 30ott6
posted Hide Post
Nice shooting son!!

John

Posts: 1143 | Location: Cody, WY | Registered: 06 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Russell....he's was the dog handler and he was a bit apprehensive of working the dog for such a young shooter. The telephoto I used makes it look a closer than it was but if you notice the 1st picture his muzzles haven't moved. The 5 shots were taken in less than a second.

At the end of the day he told me that both my sons handled their guns better than most of his grown-up clients and they both shot a lot better than most of the clients.

DB Bill aka Bill George

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Awesome! Congratulations!

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
Good stuff, but it seems to me that you should let him in on the "let them get out a little further" part, now.

Poof!

LOL!

Dutch.

Life's too short to hunt with an ugly dog.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hikerbum
posted Hide Post
Fantastic series of pictures

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Posts: 2590 | Location: Western New York | Registered: 30 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of GA DEER HUNTER
posted Hide Post
quote:
At the end of the day he told me that both my sons handled their guns better than most of his grown-up clients and they both shot a lot better than most of the clients.

That is a compliment to you as a Father and a teacher.

Congratulations on a great day in the field.

Posts: 392 | Location: Atlanta, Georgia | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bill, congratulations. I know how you feel. My son shot the first pheasant he shot at last year over our young setter he helped train. I could not have been prouder.

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I didn't mention that I found these pics while going thru some boxes. They were taken more than 20 years ago and he continues to be one the finer "natural" shots I know.

Unfortunately he's an attorney and spends more time playing golf than he does shooting.

DB Bill aka Bill George

one of us
Picture of solvi
posted Hide Post
Great pictures. Memorys like that are priceless

Skype username
solvijoh

Posts: 497 | Location: Iceland | Registered: 27 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Old Elk Hunter
posted Hide Post
Solvi is right - the memories are priceless. His enjoyment of that day will come back to him hundreds of times over his lifetime. This is what a good father does for his son - give him good times as the basis of a good life. Whenever he has tough times he will have this to reflect on. I am very envious.

RELOAD - ITS FUN!