New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Fine double guns.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Keep an eye on the Gun List under European Double Shotguns. Aya's show up there frequently that are under 2K...

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Noooo............!!!! I do not mean the over under target monstrosities you see people carrying on the target range.
I mean................fine side by sides. The exquisitely finely balanced side by side that comes up like a flash, acts like an extension of your pointing hand, fits like a glove and shoots precisely where you look after you bring the comb up to just touch your cheek.
Over the last few years there have been many lovely sxs dumped on the market because they do not shoot steel.
Fine Berettas, Sarasquetas, aya's some lovely german and british models. Nice guns often with fine case hardening pretty scroll engraving ( no stamping.) Virtually all I have seen and picked up go for less then $1000. Canadian rubles. A bargain in real US money. About 7 years ago on insistance of a friend I came sharptail hunting using one of his Merkel SxS. My score went way up from using my Beretta autoloader or sporting clays o/u. Subsequently borrowing that gun my clay target score went up considerable for skeet and sporting clays.
Since I have aquired some sxs myself. I still shoot lead or Bismuth or I like to try some of the polymer shot that still can be used in older guns.
I have learned to appreciate a splinter fore-end the slim straight or semi-pistol grip, the double hinged trigger, holding the barrels rather then the fore-end.
Any one else in SxS doubles???
Tell me why you like them besides their great looks.

Posts: 101 | Location: Alberta ,Canada | Registered: 17 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Spring
posted Hide Post
From Morris L. Hallowell, IV of Hallowell & Co:

SxS or Side by Side (barrels) - Side-by-side barrels are better than over & under barrels because they have a broader and more quickly-acquired sighting plane. Although one should always concentrate on the target and not the gun, in field shooting, having subliminal consciousness of the position of the barrels is a real aid to throwing the shot towards a suddenly-appearing moving target. Although not as precise, it is quicker to find the broad crosshairs of a hunting telescopic sight than the fine crosshairs of a target scope. Side-by-side guns are easier to load than over & under guns because the barrels do not need to be opened to as wide an angle (gape) for cartridges to clear the standing breech. Side-by-side guns traditionally have been considered more elegant of line than over & under guns.

I can't say I have any SxS shotguns as mine are mostly O/Us. My double rifle, however, is a side-by-side and I love it. Such guns, considering their purpose for hunting dangerous game, can critically benefit from the faster reloading aspect mentioned by Hallowell. Obviously that isn't such a issue when we bird hunt, and competion shooters almost exclusively have decided that over and unders are superior. That said, the classic nature of a fine SxS double shotgun makes them timeless.

Posts: 1445 | Location: Bronwood, GA | Registered: 10 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
hikerbum, I just bought my wife a Huglu Bobwhite 410 sxs that set me back all of $500. I see them now for $700 or so. I thought it was going to be a typical $500 gun but man, was I pleasantly surprised. The inletting is on par with Browning O/Us and the engraving was hand cut and not the typical roll or laser stuff. The little detail that really surprised me was all the screws were timed.

I personally don't like the electroless nickel but the wife does. The 28 ga also comes color cased and with choke tubes for a little more. Its called the Ringneck.

The importer is Armsco. Huglu

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shrike,

I like them because they feel like they belong in my hands. I love they way they open and close. I could care less whether it happens in a shorter distance as I would not use one in a duck blind. I like they way a trim straight stocked 20 feels in the crook of my hand.

I shoot a 20 ga Ithaca 280E (Skb)that I bought new in 1972, and I have 2 L C smiths, both in 12 gauge that I am currently restocking, a Belgian "guild" gun in 20 ga with 26.5" barrels with wonderful rose and scroll real engraving that I picked up for a song (also needs to be restocked. I am searching for more. I have not seen any great bargains and people dumping them but hope I do.

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Srike: Sorry to burst your bubble but I don't like them. I think they look weird and point even weirder (like pointing at something with two fingers instead of one). For hunting, gotta love those pump guns (not snooty enough for some, though). Oh well, to each his own; just make sure you join the NRA so everyone is able to choose what shotgun fits his fancy.

one of us
posted Hide Post
SxS are my favorites. I started out with a Stevens 311 in 12ga as a kid, switched to an O/U and my trap scores fell and so did my ability to hit birds. Then I bought a Winchester Model 23 in 20ga, and I started to hit again, then 8 years later, in dire need of a house payment, I sold it. A few years later, I bought a Sauer and now have a Browning Bss in 12ga. I think I would give my left testicle to have that Winchester again.
I personally shoot much better with a sxs.
Fred in Colorado

Posts: 37 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 26 June 2003Reply With Quote