THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIRD SHOOTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Bird Shooting    What's Your Favorite 12 Ga. Dove Load?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What's Your Favorite 12 Ga. Dove Load?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
1 1/8 oz.? 1 1/4 oz.? What velocity? I've been using Wally World specials but I'm not sure that's the way to go.

Posts: 385 | Location: Brunswick, GA | Registered: 15 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of johnch
posted Hide Post
I use Gold Medal 1 1/8 oz heavy Trap loads 7 1/2 or 8 .

I then use the hulls for reloading Steel shot and Hevi Shot for ducks .
If you don't reload you should be able to sell the hulls for 1-3 cent a piece.

Wally world specals are cheap because they are loaded with soft shot in a cheap wad using the cheapest/dirtyest powder around.
In a hull that is poor to junk for reloading .
This means the patterens will suck compaired to good loads IMO

Johnch

NRA life
Delta
Pheasants Forever
DU
Hunt as if your life depended on your results

Posts: 591 | Location: NW ,Ohio 10 Min from Ottawa NWR | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of aktoklat
posted Hide Post
I prefer the 1 1/4 oz with 7 1/2 size shot loads from 1220 -1330 FPS.

Focus on the leading edge!

Posts: 453 | Location: Louisiana by way of Alaska | Registered: 02 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
1 or 1 1/8 oz target/trap loads. velocity is 1250.
As for the promo stuff at wally and other such places, the reason they're cheap is they cut all the corners they can. Get good quality ammo and you won't be sorry

When a strong man armed keepeth his palace, his goods are in peace - Luke 11:21
Suppose you were an idiot... And suppose you were a member of
Congress...But I repeat myself. - Mark Twain

Posts: 203 | Location: Back home in Texas | Registered: 20 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've been using the promo stuff from the new Cabelas in Wheeling,WVa. It's from Estate Cartridge Inc. Box says 1&1/8oz 1255fps. I've been using the 7&1/2 shot and this stuff rocks!
If you want to powder doves this stuff works better than high brass loads I've used. Couple years ago I order Remington 9 shot, this was high brass and worked really well, but I like this Estate ammo. I've used Walmart's specials but don't really care for it, it doesn't seem to have the same punch. I can also tell a big difference when shooting clay birds, the Estate ammo seems to shoot much better. Of course if it meant hunting doves or not I'd use whatever was available! Gotta love dove hunting!!!Joe

Posts: 185 | Location: ohio | Registered: 13 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My favorite 12 ga dove load is 7/8 ounce of 7 1/2's ........ in a 20 gauge. I reserve my 12 ga for shooting pterodactyls.

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Skinner.
posted Hide Post
I agree with Chic, 20 ga. is the tool for doves.

My Beretta 303 Sporting Clays 20 ga. is my favorite dove killer, 7/8 oz. to start and 1 oz. for the late season, both 7 1/2's.

I have to travel a bit now for doves since we don't have em' on the North Coast.

But in my home area I had a ranch reservoir I hunted that was in a little canyon, suurounded by grazing lands. With lemon orchards on the bottom lands below. Major flights into the reservoir every morning and evening, superb shooting.

Best thing was that the Mexicans who worked on the ranches loved eating doves (palomas !!) and took all we'd give em'. Thus we hunted almost every day of the season about 1 mile from home. Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
i've been using up a case of ammo I got a few years ago, it's the 7/8 oz of #6 shot, but it was the cheapo wal-mart special and yes, it shoots very dirty. seems to work just fine in my old clunker (with adjustable choke), and hardly any kick. but what I really like to use my remington 20 ga with the federal long range load, 1oz of #4, seems to reach out nicely. now if only those damn doves would stop moving around so much and hold still for me!

posted Hide Post
Either Remington Dove loads 1 1/8 #7 12g or Winchester AA Super Sporting Clays 1 #7 12g, both are fast and hold well with Light Modified choke in my Beretta Extrema.

Posts: 23 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 04 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, after Saturday I have decided my favorite 12 gaguge Dove load is 1 1/4 oz. of #8 in a AA field load, I don't know if I'm getting better at this or if the little bit of extra shot helped, probably a combination, but I piled up more birds than I have in the last three years combined.

Posts: 385 | Location: Brunswick, GA | Registered: 15 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My favorite is Winchester super speeds 7/8oz. 7 1/2. This year I'm going to try Federal field and range.. 1oz, #8's.
I like the Rem. sure shots but the super speeds have less recoil and I like that for my 12ga. SXS.

Sendero300>>>===TerryP

Posts: 489 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 25 December 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
i use my trap loads 19 grains of red dot with 1 ounce of 7 1/2

one of us
posted Hide Post
More than an ounce of shot is a waste. More than 1200-1275 fps is unnecessary and only boosts the kick. Trap and skeet loads provide a better pattern (due to the one-piece wad and perhaps harder shot), but the el-cheapo promo loads will drop about 98 of the 100 birds that the higher priced trap loads do. Two extra misses at competition targets hurts your score, but two out of a hundred would-be hits on doves is irrelavent to whether you get your limit. Bottom line is, if you don't use the hulls for reloading then for the money you're as well off with the promos.

But please, whether you save your hulls or not, pick them up and don't leave them scattered around like so much plastic trash.

NOTE: Just as with rifles, some shotguns throw a much better pattern with some shells than with others. Patterning your particular gun can be important when selecting a load.

Posts: 13239 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Swede44mag
posted Hide Post
My dove load is 1 1/4 oz #4 or #6 mag. Those armor plated Doves fly off every time I try #7.5's I have since switched to 20ga but still like #6 shot.

I got my friend to try #8 with 3" shells and I beleive it was 1 5/8 oz or more. He loves these shells but he also likes to empty his pump every time he sees a bird.

Swede

---------------------------------------------------------
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1608 | Location: Central, Kansas | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
More than an ounce of shot is a waste.

IF you're good at this but I'm not, I need ALL the help I can get and that extra 1/4 oz. seems like the ticket Smiler

One of Us
Picture of invader66
posted Hide Post
Tried some Rio, I think, what do Ya,ll think of it? Made in Spain I think.

Semper Fi
WE BAND OF BUBBAS
STC Hunting Club

Posts: 1684 | Location: Walker Co,Texas | Registered: 27 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
Home grown, 1oz of #7 1/2 @ 1185fps from my 16 Gauge. thumb

Hog Killer

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
These are little bitty birds!!

28 ga AA hull, 3/4oz of #8s, AA pink wad with 13 grs of Universal Clays run thru a MEC 650 delivered by a Rem 870 with Improved Cyl or modified if you must. Skeet guns work great inside 30 yds or so..if you're on the bird, they will die!!

The year of the .30-06!!
100 years of mostly flawless performance on demand.....Celebrate...buy a new one!!

Posts: 858 | Location: MD Eastern Shore | Registered: 24 May 2005Reply With Quote
<JOHAN>
posted
invader66

I have used Rio and been very pleased with the ammo. Uniform paterns, clean burning and pretty stout loads thumb

http://www.ueec.es/Ingles/MainMenuIngles.htm

Cheers
/JOHAN

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kend:
quote:
More than an ounce of shot is a waste.

IF you're good at this but I'm not, I need ALL the help I can get and that extra 1/4 oz. seems like the ticket Smiler

Doesn't matter how much lead you put in the air if your gun is pointed in the wrong place. A miss with two ounces of shot is the same as a miss with a half ounce of shot. As Lowrider says, "if you're on the bird, they will die".

Posts: 13239 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stonecreek:

Doesn't matter how much lead you put in the air if your gun is pointed in the wrong place. A miss with two ounces of shot is the same as a miss with a half ounce of shot. As Lowrider says, "if you're on the bird, they will die".

That's right....but if you're just close the extra will help otherwise you would only need one pellet in the shell Smiler

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My friends laughed at me all summer for shooting carpenter bees with my Daisy Red Rider on the wing. I averaged about 5 shots per bee and it was great practice for instintive shooting.

I've seen some really average shooters turn into pretty damn good shooters by going from a 12ga to a 28 ga because they had to concentrate a lot more with the smaller gun. The .410 seems to be too much of a challenge, but the 28 is just right....it's worth a try if you've never used one before.

The year of the .30-06!!
100 years of mostly flawless performance on demand.....Celebrate...buy a new one!!

Posts: 858 | Location: MD Eastern Shore | Registered: 24 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
1 oz. trap loads whether AA, Federal ,etc. will work find. Personally I wouldn't take anything bigger than a 20 for doves.

A shot not taken is always a miss

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The .410 seems to be too much of a challenge, but the 28 is just right....it's worth a try if you've never used one before.

I have to agree with that observation. The .410 is a kind of "expert's gun". It's range is limited because the 1/2 ounce of shot just can't fill out a pattern beyond a certain yardage. And going to a 3" shell with 11/16 ounce doesn't help much because the shot string becomes so elongated that you have the same relative sparcity of shot in the effective pattern. On the other hand, the 3/4 oz in a 28 seems to be just the right combination to reach about as far as relatively small birdshot is effective and still maintain a nice, even pattern. I like 7/8 oz in a 20 gauge, too, but the little 28 just has a special "feel" to it that turns my screw.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Load 1 3/8 ounces of hard, nickel, or copper plated 6s, 7s, or 7 1/2s using Unique for a MV of around 1100 fps. I don't want to quote the powder wt because it's been a while since I loaded it and I might be off. Excellent, fairly low recoil load that patterns very well but kind of runs out of steam at about 60 yards using 6s. Great for huns as well and a good first shot at pheasants.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote