New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Fine double guns.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Over the years I had shot a great many over and unders, but never a side by side.

Last year I picked up a Chapuis double rifle in 9.3x74R that happened to have a set of unfired 3" 20 gauge barrels with it. Very nice combination. Took it to a day of live bird shooting in Texas in February. Was the first time I'd ever shot it as a shotgun.

The SxS handles beautifully. Had the best day I've ever had bird hunting! This lovely puppy will be the last shotgun I part with for sure.

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Didn't know the Hatfields were cheap and have no experience with the others. You might find some of AYA's older production at a reasonable price though. Seems like the small bore shotguns command a premium though, and your best best might be a fine 16 or 12 SxS and a set of inserts...unless you're really set on the small frame.

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hikerbum
posted Hide Post
I would appreciate anyones opinions on a what they feel is a nice (relatively speaking) inexpensive 28 ga. sxs.

I am looking at Dehaan, Ugarechea, or Hatfield.

thanks

Posts: 2600 | Location: Western New York | Registered: 30 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hikerbum
posted Hide Post
The Hatfields I have seen listed sell for about $1600. The AYA's low end are about $2400 new. Have not been able to find a reasonable used one. These may seem high but for a nice sxs bird gun not too bad.

Posts: 2600 | Location: Western New York | Registered: 30 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
Hikerbum, to that list, add a "shooter grade" LC Smith. For a modest fee, you can get it redone, and have something that will be as good or better, with a better chance of holding it's value. I've got about $800 in mine (refinished the wood myself), and was offered $1500 for it. HTH, Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote