New
Find
Notify
Tools

Texas Dove Season Extension
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Good news Parks and wildlife talked the Feds into a longer season by 20 days. The rains have helped the birds nest several times this spring so we are good to go. Lots of slow - dumb - small juvenile birds.... which is good for me.
Lee

Posts: 208 | Location: San Antonio | Registered: 14 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Most hunters' enthusiasm for dove hunting tends to wane after the first few weeks of the season (although dove hunting is one of the most sociable and enjoyable of all hunting pursuits.) I dunno. Extending dove season into deer season just doesn't seem to do much for very many people. I know that although I love dove hunting, I'm not going to hunt doves when deer season is on. But to each his own.

Posts: 13248 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Right now, if I could kill every dove I see around my place, I wouldn't have a limit. Neighboring corn fields remain uncut, hogs have devastated them, not sure they are going to cut them, so no corn on ground to attract birds, plus we've had the wettest August I can remember. Therefore, no doves, but they will come later, probably after the first split is closed. Frowner

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Instead of extending the season, I'd rather they opened south zone Sep 1st. I hate having to wait until the 23rd. There are shitloads of birds every year in the south zone come 1 Sep.

Andy B

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member
TDR Cummins Power All The Way
Certified member of the Whompers Club

Posts: 2973 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by drewhenrytnt:
Instead of extending the season, I'd rather they opened south zone Sep 1st. I hate having to wait until the 23rd. There are shitloads of birds every year in the south zone come 1 Sep.

Andy B

+1 I'm in total agreement. Not long after the 23rd. opener the nights start getting cool and the majority of the birds migrate on down into Mexico. The drug cartels and related crime have made it too dangerous to hunt in Mexico.

velocity is like a new car, always losing value.
BC is like diamonds, holding value forever.

Posts: 1650 | Location: , texas | Registered: 01 August 2008Reply With Quote