Find
Notify
Tools

what to do in Buenos Aires
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted
Posting here thinking there are some wing shooters that have spent similar time in B.A. while doing Argentina trips.

A small group of us are going to spend a most of a weekend in Buenos Aires at the end of a June wing shoot. Am looking for suggestions what to see/do. We are way beyond the party animal stage but don't want to look at church after church. I don't go to art museums here so that isn't a big item either. Looking for local color, flea markets where we won't get pick-pocketed, etc. Any other suggestions? How about what hotel to stay at (clean but affordable) and a tour bus outfit suggestion that isn't gay would be nice. Good places to eat that aren't tourist traps, etc.

Thanks in advance.

Posts: 3276 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Try the Berreta Gallery and there is a classic gun store in the Recoletta, but I can't remember the name. The cemetary of the Recoletta is interesting, worth doing.
I had a great time wandering around and seeing the archetechture and meeting the people. My brother did the Opera House( one of the most famous in the world) if you like that sort of thing. The food was wondereful I especially remember a restaraunt called The Estancia, a meat eaters paradise.

Chip Pitcairn

Posts: 42 | Location: Corpus Christi, Republic of Texas (occupied) | Registered: 31 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
Chip, where did you stay in B.A. ?

Posts: 3276 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Alvear Palace, the finest hotelI have ever stayed in. mPeople there knew what great service was all about.It's been 4 1/2 years but
I am confident it has not changed. I'm ready to go back to BA even if I don't take a gun or shoot.
Chip Pitcairn

Chip Pitcairn

Posts: 42 | Location: Corpus Christi, Republic of Texas (occupied) | Registered: 31 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Chip,
I am curious. Why a cemetary?

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For some of the best steak anywhere, try
Las Nazarenas" which is convenient to downtown and most of the major hotels. I'm not sure of the current costs, I've paid anywhere from about US$7.50 to US$50.00 per person for the same meal of a giant steak, potatoes, and a great bottle of Argentine wine depending on the exchange rate. Even at the upper end of that range it is well worth it.

As far as not partying goes, I'd be willing to bet serious money that SOME of your party might go looking for company. Rumor has it that Bu

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Shoot, my wrist hit my mouse and it posted it the above post before I was finished.

At any rate....rumor has it that Buenos Aires has some of the best looking partiers in the world. Of course, that is just hearsay I've received from fellow hunters........ Wink Wink

Laissez les bons temps roulez.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Chip: the Alvear Palace, if very good, is a pricey place to lodge in. The best policy is contact beforehand a suitable agency, I think of Les Amis between many others. They can provide guided tours and so forth. Our wines and meat are the best, period. Perhaps you may wish to visit a combined restaurant with tango and typical food, i.e. Señor Tango for instance.
Buenos Aires followed mainly Parisian lines at the late XIX and early XX Centuries in its buildings thus these are worth a tour. The Recoleta Cemetary has most of the country´s history and styles in it. Remember, once upon a time Argentina was the seventh country in the world and its national product even was in a level with the USA´s. The finest things were imported from Europe, then the world cultural capital. Nowadays the cultural offer is overwhelming if you are so inclined.
By the way, Argentine women are very well rated (ask Richard Powell) Wink

Posts: 1020 | Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina | Registered: 21 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
The last pros that I checked into had a big trophy fee my checkbook couldn't handle. They must have thought they were equal to a sable or a bongo. Wink

Now, back to the basic topic. Can one of you with experience suggest a place for our group to stay in B.A? Something mid-range pricewise, close to the good tourist stuff, and tolerant of gringos?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Matt: look for the Abasto Plaza Hotel in its web page (use Google) or the Aspen Towers Hotel. There are many others, of course. Both are in the medium range prices and offer all things needed. The first is related to tango, the other more international. Then you may look for the Hyatt, Sheraton or Hilton, I understand somewhat in a higher scale of prices. Once there, you may contract many guided tours.

Posts: 1020 | Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina | Registered: 21 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Matt: something more. The Argentines are very fond of foreigners. The gringos go home thing is just a political bromide. We are not Cubans. Your war attitude is not liked here, but that´s about all. But for petty crime, Buenos Aires is a safe city and you may shop anything you like. The exchange rate is a steal nowadays: 1 dollar equals 2.9 pesos. Leather goods are specially remarkable (and firearms).
Regards

one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
DEAR MATT WRITE GUS A MEMBER OF THE FORUM FAN BIG BORE HUNTER NAVAL OFFICER AND EXPERT ON HUNTING AT THE NIGTH OF BS AS AND PERHAPS HE CAN GUIDE YOU.JUAN

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6369 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Only trouble with Gustavo is that he doesn´t drink wine, only Coke Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin