THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIRD SHOOTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Bird Shooting    Re: Looking for a shotgun recommendation...

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Looking for a shotgun recommendation...
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Gatogordo, You said" I think my lab, who was from Louisiana couldn't figure out how all that marsh got vertical."
That is funny
I would love to hunt the salmon river country in December for chukar. The only problem is the one you mentioned. That country is STEEP AND NASTY!
I have to say I had some days that were better than others for chukar hunting. Our season was so dry that the hunting didn't get good until November. Our pheasant hunting is very tough here. I only got one here in Idaho. I had to goto Montana to get the pheasant and Sharptail's. If you broke the birds down I got 78 chukar, 21 pheasant, 11 Sharptail, 35 blue grouse, 5 ruffed grouse, 5 hun's, 3 sage
hens, and 10 valley quail. I don't even want to think about the miles walked or driven! Ron

Posts: 985 | Location: Southern Idaho | Registered: 24 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
Ron's got me beat by 10 days a year, but I got more chuckars than he did (and my dog is not as good as his.....).

This is the first season that I hunted with an auto, and I will not be going back. I spent about half my days chasing ruffed, and a 30" 12 ga. auto is maybe not the first thing you think of. Still, she's light weight (6.5 lb), and I shoot her well. The versatility is also unbeatable. With an IC, I had some days this year where I started out with 7/8th's of #7 for ruffed, switched to 1 1/4 6's for sharptails, and then finished with 1 1/2 oz of 5's and 4's for the sage grouse.

Then, back to the club for a couple of rounds of sporting clays. There is just no doubt in my mind that if a serious amount of clay shooting is on the menu, a low recoiling twelve is called for.

Other reasons to go with the 12 is hunting with flushers or even hunting without a dog. For example, mature, wiley roosters flushing at 30 yards are more than an even match for a 20 in all but the most expert hands. JMO, Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have been blind to the semi auto for a long time. I had a lot of days that I might have had a full limit if I had a semi auto. Dutch how many chukars did you get this year? What kind of dog do you have? It has to be a good one. Ron

Posts: 985 | Location: Southern Idaho | Registered: 24 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
Ron, I did not keep exact track on the chuckars, but quite a few more than 30. Some of those in Salmon river country as high as 7800 feet. A serious chuckar addict doesn't need an exercise program, he needs a shrink.

My dog is a one year old Drent, sometimes called a Dutch Partridge dog. This is the first time I've ever hunted with a dog, and it's been a learning experience. She doesn't hold point yet, but that is because I don't really have the skills or facilities to train her. So, I'm going to take her to a pro this Spring to teach her "whoa" and to point by scent.

The breed is a very close relative of the Large Munsterlander, and is about the same size as a lab. It's a soft natured, pointing versatile breed in the spaniel group. I don't have a hosting service I can use, but here is a picture of her kennel mate (and Dutch champion). HTH, Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dutch, You said "Ron, I did not keep exact track on the chuckars, but quite a few more than 30." Dutch, 30 chukars isn't more than 78 chukars Are you using that new type of math again
I have never heard of a Drent. Once before you posted about this dog and I had no clue. Looks like a springer with a long tail. Where did you get it? Ron

one of us
posted Hide Post
Put your money where you'll be hunting most. 20 Ga is fine for turkey if you're a hunter, perfect for upland game. Two barrels are better than one, but one is okay on a budget. Beretta 391 is good. Point about recoil between 12 and 20: the 20 is easier to lug around and regardless of previous comments I find the recoil more managable with them in all scenariios. Autos do soften the blow FWIW, and because the 390/391 have adjustable stocks they are even better. In regards to success in wing shooting, fit is everything. It helps with recoil too.

I haven't a clue what these other fellows are calling "Turkeys" that require a 3.5" 12 Ga to put down. They eatin' Kryptonite? JMO, but 3" or longer in any gauge other that the .410 is an excercise in masochism. I just haven't met the animals so tough as to justify that. I DON'T HUNT DUCKS though, so make no judgement there. I do have a an Ithaca 37 in 20 ga that killed over 60 hogs in a 2.5 year span w/ 2 3/4" #3 buck, only two taking a second shot.

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
Hey Ron, it's not my fuzzy math, it's my fuzzy reading......

I actually imported her from the old country. Wanted something to hunt with, and chose the Drent for sentimental reasons. They do look like a springer with a long tail. The primary difference is personality (softer, gentler), and size. Mine's 22 inches at the shoulder and 65 lbs; more like a setter than a springer. I know your cousin has seen her (if he can remember ). Dutch.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Was it hard to import it? Was it a puppy when you got it? Also what is the back ground of these dogs? I like to learn about breeds like this. I need to see Leon, it has been a while. Ron

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ya' know Bob, the only real solution here is to buy a pair of Beretta 391's. One in 12 and one in 20. Or a 391 12 and an O/U 20, just because. What's neat about that is when you go to buy the new Ponsness Warren loader you can get the tooling sets for both 12 and 20. Of course then you'll need..................

Posts: 1295 | Location: 3rd Planet from the Sun | Registered: 24 April 2003Reply With Quote