Find
Notify
Tools

Butterballs
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Grafton
posted
I know these guys are "trash ducks" to some and they may not have the appeal of a fat greenhead or an elegant bull sprig, but they have their place, especially on the slow days!

You have to admit, the drakes are a handsome bird and I have been glad to have some around more than once. I love the bubble gum feet and the purple green iridescence you get on the drakes head. So post your bufflehead photos and do not be shy.

Also, why is a bufflehead cripple on the water at 40 yards the most difficult thing to kill in the world? Big Grin

SAFARI ARTS TAXIDERMY
http://www.safariarts.net/

Posts: 1378 | Location: Virginia, USA | Registered: 05 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nothing wrong with buffies......the iridescent head is gorgeous......we can kill 'em all day long here(although their numbers were conspicuously low this year for some reason).

Posts: 2717 | Location: NH | Registered: 03 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
+1 on Norty's comments. I didn't see nearly as many where I do most of my hunting on the north shore, but buddies of mine on the Cape did their usual damage to the buffies down there, and we normally get tons of them. I don't have many buffie exclusive shots handy, but here's one (buddy's pic, not mine) of a typical winter day on the cape. Buffie limits are not hard to come by in these parts, and if that's your thing, more power to you. Cartwheeling buffies as they buzz the blocks low and fast on the deck is big fun, that much is certain. Wink

Me, I love hunting all ducks, including the buffmeisters, but would I rather bash a limit of buffies instead of one of teal, mallards or woodies? Nope! But then my enjoyment of the hunt overall includes the end game (read as table fare enjoyment levels). Smiler

Hunting: I'd kill to participate.

Posts: 2897 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've got a pic or two, but no account to post from as yet. I rate water-swatting a crippled bufflehead an 8/10. My girlfriend and I shot at one more than 10 times between us from a distance of less than 20 feet before we finally got her. That was on still and fresh water too.

Andy

One of Us
Picture of Grafton
posted Hide Post
Nice pic, Kamo. Looks like a fun day.
I hear you on the table fare, too bad they do not taste as good as they look.

SAFARI ARTS TAXIDERMY
http://www.safariarts.net/

Posts: 1378 | Location: Virginia, USA | Registered: 05 March 2005Reply With Quote