New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wild Chukar
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Anyone able to recommend a state/specific area where I would have a good chance at find wild chukar on public land?

I'm considering doing a trip out west for a week and see if I can connect on wild pheasant, chukar, and anything else that might be doable on the trip.

Posts: 296 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 17 June 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Check out Idaho Hell's Canyon area. I have had buddies go there for chukars. Steep country though!

Posts: 252 | Location: Anchorage, AK | Registered: 14 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Idaho or Nevada. I live in Idaho County, Idaho and recommend you keep tabs on Idaho Fish and Game web site for the Chukar counts in late summer. Some years there are plenty some years not so good.

You can find plenty in the Snake River and Salmon River canyons in Idaho County down stream to Lewiston. There are plenty down south too but I don't know the area.

BUT load google earth and "fly" the country to make sure your up for it. If you are in Chukar shape you can get after them every other day and coast on recovery days. If your not in shape you will hunt part of one day maybe a whole day and then your body will be done, finished. Rafting or jet boating gives you the best access to unpressured birds. They bare no resemblance to the farm raised birds except in looks.

Except for Snowcock hunting in the Ruby Mtns of Nevada, this area is the toughest bird hunt your going to find.

Good hunting

One of Us
Picture of stradling
posted Hide Post
want to hatch out some chucker's for my place any one know where to get chicks

Anyway it matters not, because my experience always has been that of---- a loss of snot and enamel on both sides of the 458 Win----

Posts: 1016 | Location: SLC Utah  | Registered: 13 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stradling:
want to hatch out some chucker's for my place any one know where to get chicks

Go over to gundogforum.com and make a post. I'm sure someone can tell you where to get them locally.

Posts: 296 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 17 June 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Navaluk

great description of the toll it will take on your body.
When I was 25 years younger we would literally chase them up hill. If you had a dog, or were stupid in shape, you could get birds this way. Best idea is to take two cars, park one at the bottom, drive to the top and hunt down

Posts: 484 | Location: SLC, UT | Registered: 01 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Historically there are lots of good chukar areas on public land in the California desert. This has changed dramatically the last two years with our drought conditions. We need a couple of back to back wet years to bring back the bird population. Gambel quail and California quail are in the same boat! I chose not to hunt them in 2013. 2014 looks even worse.

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
You have reasonably good chances in eastern Oregon for chukar in the Malheur River basin between Juntura and Vale, and for pheasant closer to ag lands -- but much of this land will be private.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16653 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote