New
Find
Notify
Tools

Late Season decoy spread
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
This has been my first season goose hunting in many years, so am still on the learning curve.

Is there any way in particular that you guys set your decoys as the season gets late and the birds have been hunted hard? I seem to recall reading somewhere that some cut the number of decoys, opting to set out smaller "family" groups, etc.

Of course, an end to the bluebird days each and every time I'm out would help, but these birds are getting harder to work.

Thanks

Posts: 733 | Location: N. Illinois | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bob,

Yes, everything I've read says use smaller numbers of decoys. Also, use flags or robots to simulate some movement. Also, plant the decoys in a "C"; leave an opening in the middle on the downwind side.

Here the geese are pretty dumb. The ducks are the tough ones to get in.

Steve

Posts: 1729 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 17 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Steve. Here the geese seem pretty smart, judging the by the difficulty getting them to work in.

Posts: 733 | Location: N. Illinois | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here in OK I always set them out in 3-4 bird family groups in a tear drop shape, with the big end of the drop on the down wind side and set up in the last few yards of the spread.

Posts: 176 | Location: Tulsa, OK | Registered: 17 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TrapperP
posted Hide Post
The later in the season we go the more important the placing of the spread becomes. Also, I have just about quit calling by now - use the moan, low volume and do call too much. Flagging helps if you are set where can use them. I like to use the J set with small family groups broken up in both arms, leaving the short arm to windward. It also seems to help if I put 8-10 duck decoys in the bottom of the J, often really close in to the boat or the blind. I use fewer goose decoys but try and use the larger size decoys as I think the birds see them better.
Hope some of this helps.

Lord, give me patience 'cuz if you give me strength I'll need bail money!!
'TrapperP'

Posts: 3742 | Location: Moving on - Again! | Registered: 25 December 2003Reply With Quote