New
Find
Notify
Tools

Older SKB and Steel Shot?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Picked up a SKB 12ga made in the 70's with IC and Mod fixed chokes. Is it ok to run occasional steel loads through it?

Posts: 392 | Location: Western Massachusetts | Registered: 05 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Skinner.
posted Hide Post
Steel shot will scratch those chokes and I've heard of barrels separating in O/U's and SxS's from continued use. Some of my choke tubes look pretty rough after lots of steel shot use so I'd believe that.

No problem with Bismuth or the tungsten polymer shots supposedly.

one of us
Picture of RandyWakeman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Posted 10 November 2006 06:05
Picked up a SKB 12ga made in the 70's with IC and Mod fixed chokes. Is it ok to run occasional steel loads through it?

No, it is not.

Posts: 375 | Location: Plainfield, IL | Registered: 11 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have never used steel shot and wouldn't in a fine gun, mostly because of these rumors that have been out since steel has. But if I think about it, shot is inside a plastic shot cup; how can it scratch the inside of the barrel?

Posts: 526 | Location: Antelope, Oregon | Registered: 06 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of GSSP
posted Hide Post
My old buddy, Jay Menefee, owner of http://www.polywad-shotgun-shells.com/about-polywad/and I got talking about this subject some years back. At the time I owned and operated, www.gsspatterning.com, which is no longer in business.

Jay was the first shotshell manufacturer to load factory Hevi-shot before Remington got hold of it, which is harder than steel. Jay convinced me that as long as the chokes were open and the shot was small, their should be no damage to your barrel.

I tried it and it does, indeed, work. I'd stay with #6 or smaller and about 10 thou of constriction or less.

Posts: 1719 | Location: Utah | Registered: 01 June 2004Reply With Quote