THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIRD SHOOTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Bird Shooting    Ducks with Argentina Outfitters/ Estancia Santa Rita(pictures added)

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ducks with Argentina Outfitters/ Estancia Santa Rita(pictures added)
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
We are sitting in the Atlanta airport on our return home. I shot for 5 days in what I think was either my 10th or 11th trip with Argentina Outfitters. I shot over 500 ducks including Rosy Bills, white cheeked pintails, yellow billed pintails, southern widgeon, red shoveler, speckled teal, cinnamon teal, silver teal, ringed teal , fulvous tree duck.

Morning hunts- I took the following numbers on each morning hunt: 37, 84,80,74 and 70.

I attribute the low number above (37) to weather. The water was frozen and there was absolutely no wind. Lots of ducks but NONE wanted to decoy.

Afternoons hunts- I took the following numbers on each afternoon hunt: 59, 34, 3, 18 and 54. I attribute the 3 and 18 to weather . Those days were clear, unseasonably warm With absolutely no wind. Those conditions are not good for ducks anywhere.

I shot their guns given the debacle with gun permits. However, it did not stop us from the gun bureaucracy. At passport control, they insisted that I produce my RENAR documents. I had none since I did not bring a gun. The idiot there could not comprehend that . It made for a few tense moments.

Would I go again? Absolutely. Nothing wrong with great shooting, a magnificent old house to stay in and fantastic food.

I will post pics later.

Posts: 12103 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Larry,
Those are great bags that you shot over 5 days!Well done indeed.
I have hunted argentina/uruguay quite a few times , but not with this outfitter. What shotguns do they have for hire. This has been a problem for us on previous trips. I generally shoot a benelli cordoba or Beretta 391.

Its now a real problem getting guns over to south america in general, we had ours confiscated on the way over in transit in Chile. It took over a month of negotiations with embassies back home to get them back. I am loath to try taking firearms again,as along as the lodge guns are ok.

cheers

Nick

Posts: 665 | Location: EU | Registered: 05 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used Benelli M-90's . I saw some Beretta guns but am not sure which model. I also saw some Browning BPS guns as well.

Some days they shot flawlessly. Other days they didn't .

Would I have rather had my gun (a custom fitted Benelli Super Black Eagle II)? Yes, absolutely.

Posts: 12103 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Sounds like another great South American hunt Larry. Your boys hunt with you again? And looking forward to some pics!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Russell. No my kids didn't go this time.Both were busy. My wife went. While she had been to Argentina twice for doves, she had never been for ducks. it was hysterical to watch her when the ducks really started piling in. She was amazed.

One of Us
posted Hide Post

RL=http://s830.photobucket.com/user/larryshores/media/Argentina%202015/30B5C470-16D3-4896-882A-FF06639B3947_zpskd7qtidj.jpg.html] [/URL]

One of Us
Picture of samir
posted Hide Post
WOW. Looks like you had a great shoot. Great pics. tu2

DRSS
Searcy 470 NE

Posts: 1436 | Location: San Diego | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Geez unbelievable bag! Nice!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
Looks like a great time. I'll have to do that one of these days. What's the story with bringing back birds for taxidermy, please? I've heard that it has gotten to be something of a headache, and that we as Americans are limited to which species that can be brought back, but being that I'd only go if I could bring birds back for mounting, am very curious to hear anything on that.

Thanks for any help, and thanks for sharing. Looks like a great time.

Hunting: I'd kill to participate.

Posts: 2897 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
KG:

I do not know with certainty. I THINK frozen birds are a problem. Skinned birds are available where I went. I assume the skins are ok.

It is a blast.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Heck of a trip Larry. One of these years......

Posts: 2717 | Location: NH | Registered: 03 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks like you had a great trip. I hunted at Santa Rita 10+ years ago, and had similar hunting. It's an incredible resource for duck hunting. Were Carlos and Belen (the owners) there? We had some interesting conversations with them over dinner as I recall.

Posts: 76 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 13 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, they were there part of the time. They are very nice people.

One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
What province were you hunting?

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3458 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Buenos Aires

One of Us
Picture of Charlie64
posted Hide Post
Great pictures Larry ! Well done !

Argentina ducks is certainly high on my Bucket List. So many things to do and just so Little vacation time!

Very interested to hear more - how far from BA, what time in Mornings and evenings were you Shooting, blinds, vehicles, Food and accommodations and guides?

Also on taxidermy have you ever mounted any of your duck ?

Cheers

Charlie

"Up the ladders and down the snakes!"

Posts: 2327 | Location: South Africa & Europe | Registered: 10 February 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Charlie64:
Great pictures Larry ! Well done !

Argentina ducks is certainly high on my Bucket List. So many things to do and just so Little vacation time!

Very interested to hear more - how far from BA, what time in Mornings and evenings were you Shooting, blinds, vehicles, Food and accommodations and guides?

Also on taxidermy have you ever mounted any of your duck ?

Cheers

Charlie

We chartered to the ranch. Depending on the plane, it was 1-1.5 hours one way.

The timing of when we left depended upon how far we were going. Obviously we started shooting as soon as it was light enough. We generally started shooting around 4 pm in the afternoon. That time of year, it gets light late (to me).

They have 2 kinds of blinds. Platform blinds and barrel blinds. The platforms are generally easier. The barrel can provide more concealment but are far more difficult to get in and out of.

Food and accommodations are outstanding. There is a very nice MASSIVE old house in which we stayed.

Vehicles were relatively new. I can't remember what kind. All 4 WD.

Yes, there are guides. They can speak virtually no English. They are of little consequence to me. We go to the blinds by ourselves. We have been so many times that the guides are of no assistance during the actual shooting. They take us there, set up the decoys, etc and leave.

one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
Great safari my friend next time youare invited to my farm ,We will shoot some partriges too and taste a good malbecs and our homemade beer .

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6382 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by juanpozzi:
Great safari my friend next time youare invited to my farm ,We will shoot some partriges too and taste a good malbecs and our homemade beer .

We might well do that next time.

One of Us
Picture of dukxdog
posted Hide Post
Looks like much fun!

Posts: 865 | Location: Idaho/Wyoming/South Dakota | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fallow Buck
posted Hide Post
Santa Rita is awesome duck hunting and the house really is great.

I'm in the process of booking a team to go out there again next year for a Duck/dove/dove combo hunt again but probably about 3 hours away at one of their other lodges to get the doves.

Rgds,
K

Posts: 4096 | Location: London | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Right you are.

I am speculating that you are going to Kono for the doves. We shot there one afternoon. It was fantastic. I think I shot over 2,000 before I quit.

one of us
Picture of Fallow Buck
posted Hide Post
Yep back to Kono again.

The ducks are not as good as at Santa Rita but we still managed to shoot our quota of shells every morning bar one on a seven day hunt.

I think Argentina is getting expensive now at the top end so I'm not sure how much longer it will be viable from Europe.

K.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I still think it is a bargain . However , the air charters are insane.

one of us
Picture of Fallow Buck
posted Hide Post
Indeed and for us to come to Argentina from Europe the flights are almost as expensive as the hunt.

Will be back this year again though if we can get it sorted.

K

One of Us
posted Hide Post
How many hours is the flight Kiri?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
With respect to the overall costs to hunt Argentina and Uruguay these days, it does seem to be getting pretty pricey. The basic daily rate these days seems to start at about $850, notwithstanding charters, gratuities and the cost of ammo.

But...you have to consider the volume and variety of birds unavailable almost anywhere else in the world. Then, factor in the ease of getting to either Buenos Aries or Montevideo and the pleasure of staying in an old time South American estancia and you have a pretty amazing trip. It's getting more expensive, to be sure, but it's still a bargain. At least for now.

Side Bar: My limited research tells me the recently re-emphasized gun regulations set forth by the Argentines will hurt its hunting industry in the short term. Several outfitters with whom I have talked say they were hurt this year. Let's hope they get things straightened out.

Cheers to you all.

114-R10David

Posts: 1753 | Location: Prescott, Az | Registered: 30 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TWL:
With respect to the overall costs to hunt Argentina and Uruguay these days, it does seem to be getting pretty pricey. The basic daily rate these days seems to start at about $850, notwithstanding charters, gratuities and the cost of ammo.

But...you have to consider the volume and variety of birds unavailable almost anywhere else in the world. Then, factor in the ease of getting to either Buenos Aries or Montevideo and the pleasure of staying in an old time South American estancia and you have a pretty amazing trip. It's getting more expensive, to be sure, but it's still a bargain. At least for now.

Side Bar: My limited research tells me the recently re-emphasized gun regulations set forth by the Argentines will hurt its hunting industry in the short term. Several outfitters with whom I have talked say they were hurt this year. Let's hope they get things straightened out.

Cheers to you all.

I have pretty much decided not to go back unless I can take my own guns. Sounds like others must have the same attitude.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am with you Larry, I recently got back from the Cordoba area for doves; there were three of us, started out at seven but three cancelled due to gun regs. I elected to continue due to a commitment to my son.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5523 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just booked for 2016 and hope the rules have changed by then.