New
Find
Notify
Tools

Referral needed
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I belong to a club at which we shoot a lot of birds. The guide I always shoot with is a big guy. 6’9” is my guess. He wears some model of Beretta jacket which he constantly complains about. It is too hot and when starting to get full, birds fall out. I have seen them fall out on numerous occasions. It is also difficult to get birds in the jacket. He may have up to 35-40 quail in the jacket at any time.

I am wondering if there is anywhere that I might go and have a jacket made for him that would work better. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Posts: 12103 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why not just offer him a Filson strap vest, I've been using one for years

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5523 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of umzingele
posted Hide Post
https://wingworks.biz/ I have used one of these for the last 10 years, I average 35 days plus per season, and they work - spurwing geese no problem - up to 8 guineafowl and my best was 18 red billed teal. Custom fit and adjustable, and made to last. If you hunt birds regularly - get one!

Posts: 265 | Location: Johannesburg, South Africa | Registered: 20 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Kobe:
Why not just offer him a Filson strap vest, I've been using one for years

+1

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37878 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of umzingele
posted Hide Post
Filson makes a one size fits all....6'9" - it will look like he's wearing a bra!

Posts: 265 | Location: Johannesburg, South Africa | Registered: 20 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have the Filson myself. It will not carry the number of birds that he is often carrying.

I shot 3 times last week. I averaged somewhere in the 150's each time. Typically the birds are dumped multiple times each shoot. I counted Sunday one time just to see. On that particular occasion. He dumped a total of 55 quail.

When pheasants and/or chukars are added in the mix, the bag gets full really quickly.

Posts: 12103 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Larry,

I had a vest similar to this one: http://www.orvis.com/p/suspension-system-vest/1A71

I would use it for early season pheasant hunts that could get pretty warm. The hardest part was loading the game pouch. This claims it is easy. If you could find something with a front loading game pouch it might be just right.

Tom

PS I have not seen this Orvis vest in person, just used as an example.

Posts: 341 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 21 November 2014Reply With Quote