New
Find
Notify
Tools

12,000 + doves in a day
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
I've heard many "reliable" estimates that they consume between 40 and 60% of the maize/sunflower crops. That's why they are a declared agricultural pest with no season, no limits.

The changing agricultural practices all over SA, but particularly in Argentina, where they are plowing up the pampas (grassland pastures) to convert them to grain production has produced the explosion of the dove, pigeon, and parakeet population over the last 50 years or so.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill/Oregon:
I did not realize the doves cause so much damage down there.

Bill:

They do not migrate like they do here. They move a little but not much. I am told they have between 5 & 7 hatches a year. There are massive numbers of birds.

Posts: 11963 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
quote:
Originally posted by 465H&H:
My question is, why in the world would anyone want to shoot 12,000 doves in one day?

+1, or 10,000 or 5,000 for that matter.

I'm quite satisfied with a 12 dove per day limit!
..................................................................... Confused

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TWL:
My question stands. And it's a reasonable one.

As per the poster/outfitter, we have two clients. Day one, 472 shells for ducks. The next day, 482...for ducks. As per the poster/outfitter, all shells for ducks. So....do we have a limit where this gentleman hunts? And what might that limit be?

Perhaps I have misinterpreted the gentleman's posts. There is a language issue. If so, I am happy to stand corrected.

Yes. There is a limit on ducks. However most don't pay attention to it. Most outfitters will limit you to 25-50 ducks per day. I'm very surprised that an outfitter would brag and post those numbers.

Posts: 795 | Location: Vero Beach, Florida | Registered: 03 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana1
posted Hide Post
FYI.
At Los Ombues you find a variety of ducks that are very different from those found in the Northern hemisphere, including the White chek pintail, Silver Teal, Ringed Teal, Red Shoveler, Cinnamon Teal, Southern Widgeon, Brazilian Duck, Speckled Teal, Tree ducks and the sporty Rosy Billed Pochard. Duck shooting is done in blinds over decoys with the assistance of pick-up boys who will call and pick-up the birds. The Entre Ríos Province Game Department, as well as the Game National authorities, enforce daily duck bag limits. Entre Rios Province has the highest duck limit in the country of up to 20 ducks per hunter per day. As an example Buenos Aires Province has a legal bag limit of 5 ducks per person per day, Santa Fe Province has a legal bag limit of 12 ducks per person per day, Santiago del Estero has 12, Corrientes has 20 and Córdoba has a legal limit of 3 ducks per person per day. All these numbers were confirmed by the Game Department of each Province and they are no exceptions in any case. And at Los Ombues we go strictly by the book.

Posts: 795 | Location: Vero Beach, Florida | Registered: 03 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bwana1:

Like you, I am surprised outfitters come on this forum and make the claims they do. They are openly admitting they are violating the law. I have the current regs for Santa Fe and Entre Rios, sent to me by an Argentine outfitter with whom I have hunted more than once. Let me put it this way, certain posters on this and related forums are publicly admitting they are violating the law by allowing their clients to grossly exceed legal bag limits.

Here's my issue: As has been discussed through other posts, the antis are watching and reading. Why anyone would go public with what I've seen specifically on this thread is beyond comprehension.

BTW....I have not hunted with Los Ombues but have researched them. They are a highly regarded outfit. I've got them on my list.

Best to you all........

114-R10David

Posts: 1749 | Location: Prescott, Az | Registered: 30 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I shoot trap and have shot skeet in a 2-3 leagues each year for many years. I don't shoot the registered trap circuit. However I will be at the ATA Nationals in Sparta Illinois this weekend to take in the festivities. I am not a great shot, but I am good. I think most of this talk of 10K or 15,000 birds a day is crazy BS. I am in my 60's and have shot in Argentina and if I went down there with the intent of killing 5,000 birds a day or more I would probably bring 2 or 3, 28 gauges, have two loaders and then I would hire a physical therapist for when I was done. I don't get the attraction of killing so many birds. I shot at Los Laureles last year and they talked about a Belgium shooter who killed 5,000 birds in a day and I was floored. Shooting 5,000 birds would be like shooting 200 rounds of trap in one day? I lose my concentration at 10 rounds, much less 200 rounds. They say the French come down and shoot about 6-10 boxes of 12 gauge and retire for the day? But some of the Germans start at daylight and shoot till dark. Everyone has their own agenda.

Posts: 245 | Location: The Show Me State | Registered: 27 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Clan_Colla
posted Hide Post
12,000 is possible and despite what many believe - was done-

I got tired at under 3000 , then again, I'm old-
and I was down there to have fun
not work

https://www.dovehuntinginargen...ng/dove-hunting.html

Sierra Brava Lodge is 15 minutes from the Macha roost, which is the largest in Cordoba. Ten years ago there were an estimated 20 million doves in Macha and the number keeps growing every year. If you want to shoot 1,000 birds in a day, this is the place to do it. And you will probably see that shooting three to four thousand birds is definitely possible. Sierra Brava knows all the “honey holes” in the area and can set you up for an unforgettable high volume day. Just ask Jack Minter who shot 10,012 birds on 13,000 rounds in February 2008. Todd White experienced it again on January 2010, shooting 11,301 birds on 14,250 rounds. To top all records Randy Martin shot over 12,000 birds in one day in 2012, and also the same figure in Feb 2014. That was one unbelievable feat!!!

Posts: 633 | Location: Texas | Registered: 30 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana1
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by TWL:
Bwana1:

Like you, I am surprised outfitters come on this forum and make the claims they do. They are openly admitting they are violating the law. I have the current regs for Santa Fe and Entre Rios, sent to me by an Argentine outfitter with whom I have hunted more than once. Let me put it this way, certain posters on this and related forums are publicly admitting they are violating the law by allowing their clients to grossly exceed legal bag limits.

Here's my issue: As has been discussed through other posts, the antis are watching and reading. Why anyone would go public with what I've seen specifically on this thread is beyond comprehension.

BTW....I have not hunted with Los Ombues but have researched them. They are a highly regarded outfit. I've got them on my list.

Best to you all........[/QUOT

Thank you..agree 100%.

One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:
i should also add that he shot .410s.

My personal best is 3015 in a day. I was pretty tired and beat up. I can't imagine over 10,000 in a day.

I believe we both shot 3015 that day, without trying to shoot the same amount. I know I was beat when it was over. 10,000 would be brutal.

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2988 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by safari-lawyer:
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:
i should also add that he shot .410s.

My personal best is 3015 in a day. I was pretty tired and beat up. I can't imagine over 10,000 in a day.

I believe we both shot 3015 that day, without trying to shoot the same amount. I know I was beat when it was over. 10,000 would be brutal.

Yup. I do remember that. What are the chances ?

We are thinking of putting another trip together between DSC and SCI.

Posts: 11963 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote