THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIRD SHOOTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Bird Shooting    Just back from SD. pheasant hunt

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Just back from SD. pheasant hunt
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I just got back from hunting pheasants the last 5 days. It was cold and tough going as the area we were hunting had a major ice storm and snow before we came.

The house we were surpose to stay at was out of power so we motel it.

We saw and shot lots of birds but they were in the cattails and it was very hard walking for us and the dogs. One had to fight for every foot.

I ended the trip on a high note we only hunted 2 hrs on sunday to get a early start home. On the last cattail swamp I took about two steps 3 roosters got up and 3 went down. My first tripble. I normally shoot a browning BSS in 20 ga. So I have shot doubles but a tripble with my double is very hard.

But this trip I use my 12 ga M1. Just because it was so cold getting extra shells out was tough. But when those 3 roosters got up the extra shell came in handy.

Over all a fun trip but it was one of the hardest SD. hunts I have done.

Posts: 19604 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Yes, late season hunts are the toughest, but also some of the most memorable. Opening weekend is a turkey shoot, but the birds wise up quickly and are much more difficult to approach as the season wears on. They're in the kochia and cattails as the shelter is better and it's tougher to traverse.

Our late November blizzard was treacherous, but has been the only significant snow. Glad you made it home OK, and I am sure that triple will replay many times in the coming years, if only in your cranium. Good shooting!

Curious Relic

Posts: 6 | Location: Pierre, SD USA | Registered: 12 February 2006Reply With Quote