New
Find
Notify
Tools

Luke's First Wild Birds
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I finally got to take my 10-month old Brittany, Luke, out for some wild birds. I had used some pen raised Chukars here in Alaska for some initial training, but had to wait until January to go "outside" for birds. After some good advice, thank you Bill in Oregon,I headed to Oregon and Idaho the first week in January. There was quite a bit of snow and I lacked familiarity enough to find Chukars but we did get into some good quail coveys. Luke is doing very well and am looking forward to getting back down there in October.

Posts: 179 | Location: South of Anchorage | Registered: 21 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good looking pup.

Posts: 2717 | Location: NH | Registered: 03 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
He is a good looking Britt. Seems to be thinking "there's more out there, let's go"

Congratulations and good effort.

"If you are not working to protect hunting, then you are working to destroy it". Fred Bear

Posts: 444 | Location: WA. State | Registered: 06 November 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
When you come to Oregon next fall, focus on Snake River area and Owyee Reservoir area as well as Bully Creek Reservoir. It's mostly public land.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had planned on those areas and will definitely spend some time there next year, hoping there will not be as much snow!

Posts: 179 | Location: South of Anchorage | Registered: 21 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes I know what that means. "Had to wait to go outside"! Think about it, that's really funny. Sounds like you were shooting those game farm birds in the living room! I've been up to Prudoe a number of times some years ago, still had to have a pass back then. I was impressed with the Ptarmigan running all over up there, till I ate one that is! lol

Posts: 526 | Location: Antelope, Oregon | Registered: 06 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Labdad, Luke is a fine looking Brittany! Glad he got to smell and taste the real thing. Our chukar country seems to go on forever, but those darned birds can be hard to locate. There is a widespread concensus that the birds have learned not to talk like they used to, as it made it so easy to find them. Seeing that country for the first time, and under snow, could only make it tougher. Hope you can get out after them a bit earlier next season.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16654 | Location: Las Cruces, NM | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks again, I plan to spend most of October and November in that country.

one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
BEAUTIFULL SPANIEL my father loves them ,we have had many in our family all excelent dogs

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6382 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote