New
Find
Notify
Tools

car wax on shotguns
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
i had a friend tell me that you could put good car wax on you shotgun and in the rain it would shed it better. mabey lessen the rust factor. any one else herd of this??

Posts: 104 | Location: spokane washington | Registered: 08 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Johnson's Paste wax was a favorite for police for their revolvers 50+ years ago. It stays on the gun better than oil or grease.I don't know of any study to find which wax is better.
BTW the FBI made a study of non gun specific oils that could be used and one of the best is Mobil 1 !

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mete:

I'm not too surprised about the FBI study. I used ordinary 3 in 1 oil for years on evry firearm I owned.

Posts: 46 | Location: The Empire State | Registered: 06 August 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Deviating somewhat from the wax topic, I have used Rustpruf. It seems to work well. "Boeshield" is also very good. I have an old P17 that has been sitting in my garage for 15 years with a coat of some rustproofing Midway sold years ago and it is still unchanged. Other old relics around it have not fared so well.
A friend of mine swears by Johnson's wax and he has been shooting very expensive Italian O/U for years.

Anything Worth Doing Is Worth Overdoing.

Posts: 1275 | Location: Fla | Registered: 16 March 2001Reply With Quote