Find
Notify
Tools

seeking VT/NH upland partner
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hello:

I am 71, retired, an avid upland game hunter and able to handle a day in the field. Don't own a dog. Enjoy laid-back grouse/woodcock rough shooting.

Unfortunately my hunting buddies are fewer and fewer and my wife is less and less happy about me being alone in the field and I'm wondering if anybody within reasonable driving distance of White River Jctn VT might be interested in a day's hunt once in a while.

With grouse season coming up I begin to itch.

Please PM me if you think something might be workable.

Oxon

one of us
posted Hide Post
my brother is in bennington, looks like a 2 hour drive and he has limited time (college soccer coach), and is unfamiliar with the names of the shotguns you mentioned. The good news is he is a horrible shot and unikelt to poach his birds or yours! If you get no other interest pm or email me and I'll try to get you hooked up. He has done little grouse hunting, but might be up for it!

Posts: 168 | Location: Lyndonville, NY USA, en route to Central Square | Registered: 24 July 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oxon:
I personally am laid back and am not competitive, meaning I don't poach your birds but I expect the same.

Great invitation. Roll Eyes

I'm not familiar with the concept of "poaching" birds while hunting with friends. Thanks so much for not "poaching" my birds while hunting over my dog. I recall your comments on a hog hunt thread.....you don't strike me as "laid back". Good luck.

Posts: 2717 | Location: NH | Registered: 03 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by penrod72:
my brother is in bennington, looks like a 2 hour drive and he has limited time (college soccer coach), and is unfamiliar with the names of the shotguns you mentioned. The good news is he is a horrible shot and unikelt to poach his birds or yours! If you get no other interest pm or email me and I'll try to get you hooked up. He has done little grouse hunting, but might be up for it!

Thanks penrod but Bennington is indeed 2 hours' drive and that's a bit far. The makes of my guns don't really matter.

By the way, Peaceable Hill near Fair Haven is a great pheasant shoot that your brother might enjoy. Highly recommended and they have dogs so he wouldn't need to bring one.

Oxon

one of us
Picture of The Slug
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by penrod72:

Thanks penrod but Bennington is indeed 2 hours' drive and that's a bit far. The makes of my guns don't really matter it's just that I'll only shoot with guys who use break-open guns.

By the way, Peaceable Hill near Fair Haven is a great pheasant shoot that your brother might enjoy. Highly recommended and they have dogs so he wouldn't need to bring one.

So if I showed up with my Mossberg one day instead of my Franchi or my Citori you'd forego hunting with me? I think I'm with Norton on this one.

-+-+-

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun." - The Dalai Lama

Posts: 730 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't care if it's a Mossberg or a Dipstick, if it isn't a break-open gun I won't shoot with you and I don't care if you're George Digweed.

Oxon

One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
quote:
I don't care if it's a Mossberg or a Dipstick, if it isn't a break-open gun I won't shoot with you and I don't care if you're George Digweed.

Elitism at its finest. You sir, are a pompous arse, and a dickhead to boot. Stick that in your double and shoot it.

Hunting: I'd kill to participate.

Posts: 2897 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jackduckhunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Elitism at its finest. You sir, are a pompous arse, and a dickhead to boot. Stick that in your double and shoot it.

And here I was searching for just the right words and you beat me to it. You silver tongued rascal you!! Wink

Captain Jack Renfrew
Coastline Guide Service
www.CoastlineGuideService.com

Posts: 110 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 21 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of The Slug
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kamo Gari:
quote:

lol jumping

-+-+-

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun." - The Dalai Lama

Posts: 730 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ready to go oxon! Just picked up this break-open specially for our partnership.....oughta make poaching your birds that much easier for me!!!! rotflmo

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry if it bothers you guys but it isn't elitism - it's self preservation.

Try using a semi or pump on a Georgia quail plantation! Or on a driven shoot. Ever wonder why?

And Norton, relax - the world isn't out to diss you!

Oxon

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
I am also a couple of hours away, unfortunately.

But I am like-minded when it comes to upland guns. tu2

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13473 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
You wouldn't hunt with anyone that showed up with a non-double? Same sentiment to you too, then.

I've been lucky enough to triple on ducks a few times in my life. Let me see either of you jokers do that with a double. Smiler

Posts: 2897 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Sorry if it bothers you guys but it isn't elitism - it's self preservation.

Try using a semi or pump on a Georgia quail plantation! Or on a driven shoot. Ever wonder why?

And Norton, relax - the world isn't out to diss you!

To some of us, the hunting is the goal, not impressing others with what we like to shoot or paying big money to shoot driven/farmed birds on private estates.

With your attitude, you'd not be welcome in any duck blind or boat I frequent. But then again your double has probably never seen the kind of weather a real duck gun knows only too well.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You have the 1%ers......

......and you have the "break-open only" guys.

I'll take the wet, tired, muddy, laughing, bag-filling 1%ers any day. tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I love doubles, I own a bunch and hunt with them. A double, pump or semi is only as safe as the individual using it. Makes a lot more sense to me to pick your partners on their track record of safety, among other qualities, not their choice of gun.

-----------------------------------------
"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived. -Henry David Thoreau, Walden

Posts: 893 | Location: Tanzania | Registered: 07 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No offense to anyone concerned - and apparently, unlike some, I do care whether I give offense without good cause - but please at least recognize that ducks are not upland game birds.

What the hell is up with these personal attacks?

If you don't want to accept the invitation, then don't respond.

I find this kind of attacking and piling on distasteful and depressing.

But maybe that's because I just don't get out enough.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Robinson:
No offense to anyone concerned - and apparently, unlike some, I do care whether I give offense without good cause - but please at least recognize that ducks are not upland game birds.

What the hell is up with these personal attacks?

If you don't want to accept the invitation, then don't respond.

I find this kind of attacking and piling on distasteful and depressing.

But maybe that's because I just don't get out enough.

Yep, you don't get out enough. Wink

Lighten up already, Mike. I don't care what anyone shoots; a $200 Mossberg or a $20K Purdey. I hunt with people who love to hunt as much as I do, and if a man states he's looking for a partner but qualifies it with the caveat that non-double owners need not apply, then I believe his problem finding a partner is pretty clear to me.

I have a couple of friends who are wealthy beyond most folks' imagination. Folks whose tax bills run seven figures. Guess what? Neither of them give a flying f what anyone shoots. We hunt to have fun, not to see whose gun costs more money.

Thanks for the clarification on upland vs. waterfowl, though. I had no idea there was any difference. I could swear I've shot quail cupped into my spread. Though they might've been bufflehead, I dunno'...

Roll Eyes

One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
Case in point. Pictured are Ivan Carter and Josh Spies (if you had a 2010 Federal Duck Stamp you've seen his work). I hosted them on a seaduck hunt a couple seasons ago. What were they shooting? Ivan was on a crappy $300 Remington/Baikal that turned as orange as a ripe pumpkin, a stock looking like it was made out of a two by four in someone's shed and a trigger like a rusty gate. Josh was on a run of the mill Browning pump, which failed to fire about one of 5 shots.

The laughs and fun we had were plentiful. Ivan killed his first seaducks ever with his borrowed gun, and Josh killed his first oldsquaw with his. You think they'd have been happier with matching $50K doubles?

Neither of them cried about how the guns they were using made them feel inadequate, or like they were slumming. I'll happily hunt with a partner who shares my passion for bird hunting, but you can bet your bottom dollar that I'll also choose happily hunting alone, every time, before I agree to some pompous dickhead's gun 'requirements'. Same goes for what kind of underwear I choose to wear, and the brand of toothpaste I prefer. I mean, WTF, over. Confused

One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Norton:
You have the 1%ers......

That you didn't say 'cold' speaks volumes, though I'm sure most missed it.

I may just let you tag along on a couple hunts this year yet!

Wink Smiler

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kamo Gari:
quote:
Originally posted by Norton:
You have the 1%ers......

That you didn't say 'cold' speaks volumes, though I'm sure most missed it.

I may just let you tag along on a couple hunts this year yet!

Wink Smiler

Perhaps you "misremembered".......I don't get cold. Wink

And I agree entirely with the sentiments you expressed above.

Surprised no one commented on the "I won't poach your birds but I expect the same" nonsense......who the hell qualifies a hunt with a stranger like that? Oh yeah, I guess it's SOP for someone who only hunts with people that shoot break-open guns (of which I have 4).

And again, thanks for clarifying that bit about ducks and upland...... Roll Eyes

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The vitriol is puzzling (except that from Norton) because double does not necessarily equal big bucks. Don't trash-talk someone because you read stuff into a post that isn't there - I never mentioned the price-point of a gun so what's this bashing about? Second, none of my doubles have ever shot duck because I don't duck hunt.

And, correct, I could never get a "triple" with a double.

But I am not alone in not wanting to shoot with guys with non-break guns. This past weekend I was introduced to two guys who have some nice upland land and I was invited to shoot with them. First question they asked, tho, was if I used a double because they didn't want to shoot with someone they didn't know well unless he was using a break open gun.

There are plenty of people who think like this and there is no reason to launch attacks.

Oxon

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Oxon, attack mode seems reflexive around here for far too many.

Kamo Gari and Norton, given some of Kamo Gari's responses in this thread, I felt the need to point out that Oxon is talking about upland birds, and guns for upland birds, and not ducks and duck guns.

I replied to Oxon that I share his views regarding a proper upland gun.

There is a difference, at least to me, between the traditional gun that one might prefer to use for upland birds, and the gun one might choose as an ideal, modern-day duck gun.

I prefer a semi-auto for ducks, but a double for upland birds.

Of course, come the revolution, we'll all join the proletariat and shoot Mossberg pumps for everything. Roll Eyes

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike, thank you very much for your kind words.

I never meant to disrespect anyone but the break-open gun issue is strong with me. It truly is a safety issue with me especially if I don't know the guys I shoot with. I have seen yahoos throw up flak from their 3 1/2-inch magnum rounds from pumps and semi-autos at anything within or without range and high-five if the poor bird happens to run into some ack-ack. That's not the kind of shooting I like. And it matters not if it's a Baikal, a Sevens or an H&H - that is not the issue.

Certainly, I agree with you that a duck gun is a different beast and my light European guns are not that beast. No matter. I don't bash the guys who throw huge amounts of steel at ducks. Nor do I duck hunt so it really doesn't matter.

I was particularly offended by the rant about "matching 50K doubles" - I never mentioned gun price nor did I imply anything about anyone's income.

AccurateReloading has been very helpful to me and I appreciate the help that the double rifle and the reloading guys have given me - they "walked" me through my problems with my new DR and were very helpful.

It was most curious to have been flamed in this manner on this forum, especially since in my experience most upland bird guys are pretty much OK.

Grouse season opens here on the 24th and in Maine on the "glorious first" and this elderly guy with his elderly friend will walk slowly thru the NE habitat with our doubleguns and have a wonderful time being outwitted by the wily grouse.

Thank you for taking the edge off this interchange. I much appreciate it.

I lived in Concord for a while and then in Belmont. You live in a nice part of the world!

All good cheer!

Oxon

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't blast ack-ack from my SBE II when upland hunting......but pretense in all its forms just chaps my ass.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Norton, I have no interest whatsoever in what "chaps your ass" nor in the the thingies, beasties or buggies that infest its vast expanse.

You have displayed it and I have no interest in seeing more of it.

Go away.

Oxon

One of Us
posted Hide Post
But we're having so much fun......and you were the bow tie-sporting captain of the Oxonia debate team, no? Surely you've a pithier retort than "go away".

Humorless folk are such inviting game. wave

one of us
Picture of The Slug
posted Hide Post
So if I'm reading this right a break-open gun makes people safer hunters than say a pump or semi? Funny, I always thought that safety was practiced by people, not inanimate objects. Wasn't Dick Cheney shooting a double? Roll Eyes

-+-+-

One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by The Slug:
So if I'm reading this right a break-open gun makes people safer hunters than say a pump or semi? Funny, I always thought that safety was practiced by people, not inanimate objects. Wasn't Dick Cheney shooting a double? Roll Eyes

I was hoping we'd get an explanation, but new BS to cover old BS never works out so well. The guy says it's not about elitism/snobbery? Really? Then why tell of his $7K-$9K that he's apparently slumming with now, as a substitute for his 'real' fav', a ~$18K gun?

Enjoy those walks with your imaginary friend. He can carry the double of your dreams...

Roll Eyes

Lame.

One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
Hmm.

Did a little casual poking around, and found some fascinating stuff.

Post 1. Watch the dates, kids!

Oxon
one of us
Posted 23 August 2010 01:09
I'm off on a caribou hunt and will take a 20 ga shotgun along for ptarmigan. The gun is choked IC/SK2 and I plan to take some #7.5 and #6 shot, 7/8 oz each.

Sound like reasonable loads? Never shot one before.

Oxon
Posts: 234 | Location: N.E. | Registered: 27 November 2009

Post 2.

Oxon
one of us
Posted 05 February 2011 00:58
It's been some years since I traveled with my guns on a domestic airliner. Have theings gotten bad? Is it too much hassle?

I would appreciate some feedback from people who have actually done it - I got a lot of BS on other sites.

I'm thinking of going from Boston to Tallahassee via Atlanta with two shotguns in an aluminum breakdown case.

Oxon

Post 3.

Oxon
one of us
Posted 20 October 2010 03:08 Hide Post
Shot a few - not much fun - they don't like to fly and we were throwing rocks at them to move.

Oxon
one of us
Posted 14 September 2010 16:52 Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ted thorn:
Did you take a shotgun with you or borrow one for the Ptarmigan .

I took a 20 ga SxS and a couple boxes shells. I shot 23 birds and left the rest of the shells behind.

Oxon

Posted 13 September 2010 02:04 Hide Post
Well, I'm back from my first caribou hunt and I have a bunch of thanks to all whose suggestions were offered so freely.

The rest of the time was spent shooting ptarmigan. Damn birds didn't want to flush so we took turns throwing rocks at them and yelling. I took along a Pedro Gorosabel 20 ga SxS that I had restocked myself and that was more than enough gun for those stupid birds that don't even taste good.

one of us
Posted 28 August 2011 18:22 Hide Post
quote:

Thanks penrod but Bennington is indeed 2 hours' drive and that's a bit far. The makes of my guns don't really matter it's just that I'll only shoot with guys who use break-open guns.

Something's odd here. He posts about/inquires about traveling to Canada, Africa and Europe to bird hunt, yet 2 hours is too far to drive? Oh, but there's a place where you can have a great shoot, with a guided outfit over pen-raised birds, hmmm? No need for a dog even!

Says his gun brands don't matter, yet describes makes and models consistently.

Went on a caribou hunt where he shot a 'few', which he later says is actually 23, but that he and his buddy had to toss rocks to get any shooting in. Wouldn't be sporting and all--yet he enjoys hunting farmed birds over a guide and his dog?

Asks 'is travelling with a gun bad now?'--as he hasn't flown with one--yet wait a sec, wasn't he killing rock-flushed ptarmigan with his fancy double--on the same trip he killed a pair of 'bou on-- just a while back last year?

I dunno'. Maybe I'm crazy, but there are lots of other very odd contradictions and conflicting statements made in some of his posts.

He likes 'roughshooting' with his gun--the one that he wanted advice on loads with, yet cleverly built the stock on himself--and then recommends a preserve shoot to a fellow bird guy?

He can manage a WHOLE day's walking, which is good, as he can ve found talking about gunning down a cape buff with his trusty euro caliber of some sort.

He's 70, but tells Norty he wasn't trying to 'diss' him?

Is trying to get us to believe he won't bother to hunt with anyone that isn't toting a double, on SAFETY CONCERNS?

'Stupid birds that don't even taste good'?

Hmmmmmmmmm.....I think I smell a rat.

One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
And then there's this...

Oxon (chemical)From Wikipedia, the free encyclopediaJump to: navigation, search

A chemical oxon is an organic compound derived from another chemical in which a phosphorus-sulfur bond in the parent chemical has been replaced by a phosphorus-oxygen bond in the derivative.

Important examples of oxons can be found in the family of pesticides known as organophosphates. Some of these chemicals, such as chlorpyrifos, diazinon, and parathion, do not manifest their main toxicity in their original form. Rather, an animal's liver replaces a phosphorus-sulfur bond with a phosphorus-oxygen bond, turning these chemicals into oxons. The oxons then inhibit an enzyme that breaks down acetylcholine, an important neurotransmitter. Acetylcholine starts to accumulate uncontrollably, wreaking havoc on the animal's nervous system.